Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
162 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 160

BigKev, 53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Would the 356 have packaged in the '51?
Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Agree that the 51's were late, not early. The overall shape was modern, but other than the clever incorporation of the Packard ox-yoke grille into a very different front, rather generic. Mercury and Pontiac look similar in profile - a distinctive side treatment, which the Clipper certainly had, was lacking. I think what was accomplished in the 55 restyle of the same body was quite a feat.

Posted on: 2020/3/17 14:11
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

PackardExec
See User information
I have a 359 cu in motor that was removed from my 1954 Packard executive. Do you know if this motor could replace my 356 cu in in my 1940 custom super eight 180 formal. I would think the size of the block remains the same but not sure about the engine mounts, etc.. and other components.

thanks, phil

Posted on: 2020/3/26 13:15
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Check out the article in SC vol 27 #7 on replacing the 356 with a later 327 9 main. Article specifies the 20 and 21st series but would imagine the 18th is similar. There is a follow up and clarification on some items in issue 27 #9 and another in Vol 28 #9. Since the 359 is physically the same size as a 327 I expect the procedure and needs are the same.
http://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL27NO7.pdf

Posted on: 2020/3/26 13:26
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Phil(PackardExec),
for including your '40 One-Eighty Super Eight Custom Formal Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2020/3/26 14:51
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I had wondered if my 1951 288/ Ultra could go in my 1946 Clipper 6? I figured it would not work well, since engine mounts are different, and wasn't the water pump offset on the earlier engines?

Posted on: 2020/3/26 14:56
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Could be wrong but with the short front clip on a 6 am not sure there is enough length for an 8 between the firewall and radiator. Since the Ultra has a different mount arrangement than a standard there may be some frame fabrication needed when trying to fit and bolt the Ultra. You would almost need to compare with a 23rd series with Ultra to see what the differences in that area might be to know what would be involved. Since the Ultra is a single rear mount might also need to figure some kind of stabilizers utilizing the side mounts on the engine to assist with the single front motor mount.

Posted on: 2020/3/26 15:36
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
When I bought one of my 1940 110s, someone had tried to install a 282 but it was far too long. The pan was resting where the radiator needed to be! This was a low mileage car (about 50k) when I bought it in the '60s but the original engine had apparently been dropped which badly damaged the side where the oil main ran so really not repairable but fortunately I had a proper engine already rebuilt and waiting. In fact, I sold the car with a different engine and still have the one that was in it.

Posted on: 2020/3/26 15:49
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

PackardExec
See User information
Thanks for the information.

Phil

Posted on: 2020/3/31 14:11
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved