Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
122 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 120

Packard Don, 29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Preferred tire supplier 1941
Home away from home
Home away from home

CartRich
See User information
Was there any specific OEM manufacturer used for WWW tires for the 1941 model year or was it much like today where the tire supplier changed over the course of the year?

I am looking to replace the WWWs on my 1941 7 Passenger Sedan and I am looking at the Coker Firestone bias ply which is nice but I'm not sure how I feel about the raised lettering in the white wall, and the Coker BF Goodrich bias ply which appears to be less gaudy. If Firestone was OEM, I'll probably go with that. If there was no specific OEM supplier I'll probably go with the Goodrich.

Posted on: 2020/3/11 20:03
 Top  Print 

Re: Preferred tire supplier 1941
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just as they dual-sourced functionally equivalent electrical items from Delco and Autolite to protect against supply shortages or disruptions, Packard like all (or most) car manufacturers used multiple sources for tires. Though I haven't seen mention of it consistently, company publications sometimes did (for example,1934) mention specific brands.

Posted on: 2020/3/11 20:16
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Check out Diamondback Tires. I've been running them for years.
https://dbtires.com/

Posted on: 2020/3/12 0:46
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I wouldn't put radial tires on a prewar car.

Posted on: 2020/3/12 11:09
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Pat and Melanie Westerkamp
See User information
I second Diamond back tires, there are two lines of thought as far as radial or not. If you are going for a complete original 10 point restore then stay with biased, but really if you plan to driveyour car alot then for ride and drive ability radials are the way to go, there are so many radials from Coker and Diamond back etc etc etc to chose from its kind of confusing. I put Coker radials (biased look alikes) on my 56 Belair and it rides and drives awesome, biased tires tend to track in road groves and are not very good for cornering (tend to roll on the sides)and im not talking about 55mph up a canyon road, just cruising.

But hey this is just my opinion and im sure this will get a few replys!!!! LOL

Good luck

Posted on: 2020/3/12 12:53
Pat and Melanie Westerkamp

1941 Packard 110 Club Coupe Deluxe
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
I drive a lot. Almost every day. I have Diamond Back Radials. Very plain looking. Very wide white wall. Incredible difference in handling driving country roads.

Posted on: 2020/3/12 13:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
The difference between Diamondback and others is Diamondback uses commercially available tires from many manufactures to match the size of the originals they are replacing. They then polish off the outside letters and numbers and apply a whitewall to the tires; or, leave the outside plain for a blackwall. Not inexpensive, but worth the cost. I had Diamondbacks on two of my Packards and was most pleased with both sets.

Posted on: 2020/3/12 13:57
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Diamondbacks are an excellent choice and I believe are all based and constructed using well respected brands. I think the tires that BigKev chose are also worth considering. They have the profile and looks plus the dimensions of the original bias tires of the era but have modern radial construction. As I recall Diamondback also sells them but not in as many sizes as some of the other places that typically deal in collector car tires.

Posted on: 2020/3/12 14:26
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
I went with Coker nylon bias look-alike radials on my '39 touring sedan and would definitely throw my vote in for radials over bias ply. I agree with Pat (56Chevman) that nylon bias ply tires tend to 'lead' and grab any anomaly in road surface; one spends a lot of time 'counter-steering' them, to say nothing of noise, flat spots from sitting, etc. A little more dough, but well worth it IMO. Chris.

Posted on: 2020/3/13 1:38
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CartRich
See User information
Continuing on the tire topic, how long do you guys go between purchasing new sets? I assume that your cars don't accumulate thousands of miles a year and wear away the tread (I could be wrong), so at what age do you replace your tires?

Posted on: 2020/3/13 3:43
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved