Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
142 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 141

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 »

Re: 1948 Packard not starting
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packwagon
See User information
I am not getting any oil pressure when starting . I have installed a temporary oil gauge . On the 1st start up the gauge pegged all the way over and did not go down. I removed the oil line to the oil filter and found it is empty. The engine did start up and I did run it a few minutes. I did remove the pan when I got the engine, cleaned it well, it should not have any sludge. Seems as if it is not picking up any oil from the pan. Could it be worn bearings? The compression is in the 85-90 range except no. 8 cylinder is only 65.

Posted on: 2020/4/17 0:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Please show us a picture of the drivers side of your engine so we can see how your oil lines are routed and where you installed your pressure gage. What did your gage actually read? If it went up, then something was pumping!

Posted on: 2020/4/17 6:11
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Is it possible on this engine to remove the distributor and drive the oil pump with a drill? This would tell you if the pump was actually working.
I've been informed by Dave Czirr that this can only be done on the V8 engines.

Posted on: 2020/4/17 9:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Randy the short answer is no.

In the Packard straight eight the cam drives the pump, which subsequently drives the distributor. If this was a SBC then the cam drives the distributor, which subsequently drives the pump. The disseminator is which component has the drive gear.

dp

Posted on: 2020/4/17 11:11
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packwagon
See User information
I'm sorry, I can't figure how to add the picture
I removed the sending unit , installed a t fitting. The oil line to the filter was installed per a factory picture on adding a filter. The pressure gauge was mounted straight above the sender fitting about 10" long into an accessory gauge like you could hang from the dash. The pressure line is 1/16" diameter.
I even replaced the 1st gauge with another and no pressure. How did the oil,get into the filter canister in the 1st place. The valve covers are off the engine. The lifters seem to be oily. Should the side valve covers be on to get pressure?
I will keep trying to add the picture

Posted on: 2020/4/17 12:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Packwagon,

Sorry to hear about your oil pressure woes. You're at the right place for help and I'm sure you'll get it sorted out. Re adding pictures, depending on the resolution setting, the file might be too big. If you're on a PC (not a Mac, which I know little about) bring up the picture you are trying to post, click on the 'hamburger' (the 3 little dots in the upper right corner of your screen) and select resize. Select the second option (best for email) and then it will save a copy of the resized photo; you can choose the folder it lands in. Then retry to post it on this site: Choose file; grab it out of your new resized folder, then Attach and it should take a couple of seconds and it wall show in blue at the bottom of your post.
Hope this helps you to get your photos uploaded. Chris.

Posted on: 2020/4/17 15:30
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Quote:
If you're on a PC (not a Mac, which I know little about) bring up the picture you are trying to post, click on the 'hamburger' (the 3 little dots in the upper right corner of your screen) and select resize.

This is applicable only when opening the image into a specific editor. Since we don't know how (in which application) your own image will open, you may have to look for another way. Typically, though, resizing isn't necessary as the site's programming can do it for you.

You simply go the the bottom of the form where you're typing the post and select Choose File and wait for its name to appear. Once it does, select Attach File. If more than one file, repeat for each and when done press Submit.

Posted on: 2020/4/17 17:18
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Plus, this FAQ may help.

If all fails, forward me the pic's at ozstatman@gmail.com and I'll post them in this thread.

Posted on: 2020/4/17 17:54
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Ozstatman wrote:....If all fails, forward me the pic's at ozstatman@gmail.com and I'll post them in this thread.
Michael advised: "The problem is an apple problem, not your site. This is the oil system showing the piping for the oil pressure gauge and filter", See his pic posted below.

Attach file:

jpg  (222.11 KB)
226_5e9a5c2d2063c.jpg 1441X1920 px

Posted on: 2020/4/17 20:46
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Do you have the crankcase filled with oil? Make sure it is full. Silly question, but...

ALSO, DO NOT RUN THE ENGINE!!!

Your oil pump may have lost its prime when you had the pan off. Two ways I am aware of to prime the pump. Some recommend taking the oil pump cover off and packing the area with the gears in grease. Another way is to pump some oil into the line that provides oil to the filter and pressure gauge. This is a direct path to the pump and will get oil to its gears. About a quart should do it. Try making a line that connects to the block and pump the oil in with a hand pump like a pistol type oil can.

You can check to see if the pump is working by cranking the engine WITHOUT STARTING IT after injecting the oil by the gauge or by removing one of the 1/8" NPT plugs on the RH side of the engine. There are a series of these along the lower part of the block just above the oil pan. You should get a reading on the gauge or see oil being pumped out of where the plug was.

It is not uncommon for these engines to have their oil pump lose prime after an oil pan service or sitting for a long period.

Posted on: 2020/4/18 12:02
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 »

false-false
Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved