Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
150 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 150

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 »

Re: 1948 Packard not starting
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packwagon
See User information
Do you mean to put oil in the fill line to the filter, disconnect it at the filter and fill it there ? Pack the oil pump gears with any type grease? Would it be wise to put a little oil in each cylinder? A couple squeezes., I did that when I did get start it up to get it running.

Posted on: 2020/4/18 14:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

Packwagon wrote:
Do you mean to put oil in the fill line to the filter, disconnect it at the filter and fill it there ? Pack the oil pump gears with any type grease? Would it be wise to put a little oil in each cylinder? A couple squeezes., I did that when I did get start it up to get it running.

Disconnect the pressure feed fitting that feeds oil to the filter and the gauge unit. Fabricate some kind of tubing that will fit into that opening so you can inject oil into the gallery that goes back to the pump. I used 5/16" rubber tubing connected to the engine with push-on brass fitting. Filled the pistol oil can with oil and pumped in about a quart which required refilling the oil can a few time. I attribute this method to HH56. He recommended it to me. It worked.

I guess a light grease would suffice for packing the oil pump gears.

Don't know why you would need to put a little oil in each cylinder. Maybe this helps to seal the rings better for more compression. This is not going to help with your oil pressure problem.Up to you on this one, but remember do not run the engine until you have oil pressure.

I am not sure about your gauge hook-up. Make sure it is connected to the pressure feed and not the filter return.

Good luck.

Posted on: 2020/4/18 16:08
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Your oil line plumbing looks completely unlike any I've ever seen! Granted I'm not too familiar with 1948 but I wouldn't expect it to be so different from later models!

Posted on: 2020/4/18 16:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
That is the standard routing for bathtub filters. The bottom passage in the block is the one coming from the oil pump. The upper passage goes back over to the right side and feeds all the lifters. How 'bout just pulling your gage line off at the lower fitting and cranking the engine a bit to see if something comes out.

I am still confused in that your original post said something about pegging the gage?? What happened right after that?

Posted on: 2020/4/18 20:01
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packwagon
See User information
I did what JW advised. I added grease to the pump gears, it was dry. I added oil to the oil fill line at the oil filter inlet. I opened a plug on the block. Oil did come out of the plug while the engine was cranking. as he suggested. Still no oil pressure at the gauge, but I know the pump is moving oil. Interesting that 2 of you mentioned the odd oil piping that I did. I too think that that is the problem. I installed that from a sketch I made from another car. Obviously I made a mistake. I found a factory drawing in a service technical sheet. Tomorrow I will continue my quest of getting this engine running. Thank you all for your help, I appreciate it very much.

Posted on: 2020/4/18 23:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Packwagon, try and attaching your oil pressure gauge to the gallery plug hole (the one you opened on the lower RH side of the engine). You won't get a very high pressure reading while cranking the engine, but it should show around 20 lbs or thereabouts if everything is working. Are you sure your gauge is working properly?

Posted on: 2020/4/19 12:27
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packwagon
See User information
My Gage is a cheap add on gage from Napa. It connects with a clear 1/16" plastic tubing.
I removed the whole thing this morning. Turned the engine and got oil coming out . Not real strong, pulsating an pumping. I hooked up 1 more time and it will not pump oil through up 10". I didn't see any oil in the tubing. But the pump is working.
Maybe a better gage in-line type
At the original sending unit port, there are 2 ports. about 4" apart
Is the upper port the pressure line, maybe I have it backwards.
I look at the filter system in the service tech sheet. Is that a tee fitting with the sending unit on it? I don't have the jumper tube. I guess I don't understand the picture. I will try your suggestion

Posted on: 2020/4/19 15:23
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packwagon
See User information
I disconnected the piping. Oil did come out the lower hole

Posted on: 2020/4/19 15:25
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Hey, I just noticed that you are in Woodenviille! Did you ever visit Vintage Auto Parts? It's long gone but I was a regular there in the '60s and was in touch with them up until they closed not too many years ago.

Posted on: 2020/4/19 15:34
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packwagon
See User information
I did attach my gauge to the gallery plug hole on the RH side. Without it attached oil flowed. With the gage connected I got nothing coming through
I'm running out of options. Yes, I know vintage auto very well. Terry Jarvis lives close by. I see him regularly. It was too bad they closed. I got lots of stuff from them

Posted on: 2020/4/19 17:07
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved