Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
148 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 148

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Rear tire removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

CartRich
See User information
Boy do I feel dumb, but is there any particular trick to removing the rear tire on a 41 7 passenger sedan? I have one side up on a jack stand but the tire doesn't clear the fender. The only thing I can think of is to remove the castle nut and see if that gives me the clearance I need.

Posted on: 2020/3/18 11:53
 Top  Print 

Re: Rear tire removal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Is your jack on the frame or the rear axle?

Posted on: 2020/3/18 12:05
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Just be sure you Jack it up by the frame, not by the axle, and there should be plenty of room. Removing the nut won't help.

Posted on: 2020/3/18 12:36
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CartRich
See User information
Thank you much! I put the jack under the place where the springs attach to the axle and put the jack stand under the axle just inboard of that. I'll go back and look for a point on the frame where I can jack it and put a jack stand near by. It's a new car to me and I am just making my first excursion under it. To be slim would be a big help

Posted on: 2020/3/18 12:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Put the jack on the side frame in the general area where the front of the leaf springs attach or even anywhere along the side favoring the rear. The point is to let the suspension hang so that there is clearance which you don't get when lifting by the axle and this is true on any car.

Posted on: 2020/3/18 12:56
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If it is a radial tire, some are much wider than the bias tires the car was designed around. Issues clearing the space between the inner and outer fenders at the frame level have happened on occasion. While once up in the wheelwell opening there is adequate clearance, many have found the need to partially deflate a radial before it will clear at the frame level to get it in or out.

Posted on: 2020/3/18 13:57
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CartRich
See User information
Thanks all. I got it jacked up in the back and got the jack stands in. I used a piece of 4x4 between the frame and the jack. It gave it some added height and the arm of the jack didn't have to go so high. The tires have room to slide out but not lots. Enough is as good as plenty in this case. I do have to admit, it was a bit nerve racking jacking up this behemoth for the first time. Much less worrisome when I jack up the coupe. It's been a little bit of a task finding a place that will mount tubed tires but the third was the charm.

Now, anything unusual I should worry about when I go to take off the fronts next week?

Attach file:

jpeg  (248.44 KB)
199039_5e7279c533005.jpeg 1920X1920 px

Posted on: 2020/3/18 14:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
No, should be easier than the rear with more room. If working on all tires, why not lift the whole thing and put in four stands?

Posted on: 2020/3/18 15:25
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CartRich
See User information
I have the other stands tied up on the coupe. I was going to start by doing the swap out on the tires I bought for the coupe and then do the sedan but after jacking up the coupe I found the sedan had gone flat . I tried changing the valve stem insides but it still leaked so some OCD and ADD set in and I ordered tires for the sedan. Assuming our local show in April doesn't get scuttled by world events, I asked several friends to ride there with me. They won't all fit in the coupe so the sedan bumped the line. Sorry for the overly verbose reply.

Posted on: 2020/3/18 16:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
If it's any consolation, the 48-50 rears are even harder to get off, having done both. The suspension needs to be fully slack.

Nash Airflyte owners must have fun.

Posted on: 2020/3/19 8:32
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved