Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
102 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 102

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 14 15 ... 46 »

Re: Resurrecting a 1951 Henney-Packard Parts Car
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Although my main work for this shop visit is to get it insulated, I try to squeeze in a little fun too with car work. Although I got so much done today that the third section of insulation can be done, I had to move the transmission I had bought for the Henney-Packard. To that end and put it into a position to actually work on it while also making it easer to move around (it’s so heavy I can’t even drag it), I mounted it to an engine stand.

This replacement transmission as was posted some pages back and is from a passenger car with the OD being totally different than that of a Henney-Packard. It is much, much longer too. I have the one that came out of a different 1951 Henney-Packard but it has stripped gears so with this replacement and the other’s OD, I should be able to come up with a usable transmission.

Attach file:

jpeg  D9905E1E-0250-47E6-9979-549EFF2363E6.jpeg (145.77 KB)
60923_612ad8e41d6e5.jpeg 1280X960 px

jpeg  3932FB65-FC64-4DE1-BF75-8759265B3FCA.jpeg (130.31 KB)
60923_612ad90833339.jpeg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2021/8/28 19:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
When I get to the transmission, the overdrive unit will likely need to be cleaned out and flushed as it has been sitting with no governor so dust likely got inside. Is there are process to do this short of dismantling it?

And speaking of governor, neither of the two I have are with unbroken Bakelite but I came across that piece by itself and it is unbroken. However, it is somewhat different in the way in adjusts (different screw types) and I fear that swapping the cover would really mess up the adjustments. Any thoughts and is there any way to tell if this piece is even from this era?

Attach file:

jpeg  AD4ED647-B62F-4A9C-A79B-F8C6302B9940.jpeg (183.07 KB)
60923_61366b2650a5a.jpeg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2021/9/6 14:25
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That same back was used from 40-50 with very minor changes. On that one, the overdrive lead is intact, the lead used for the EC is broken or cut off but you can see the terminal coming out of the area where the adjustment screw is located. 51 and later backs had the same shape but only had one wire.

About all you can do is assemble the weight and contact section and give it a try to see where it comes in. The adjustment requires either an adjust and road trip and try again method or a specialized fixture where you have a tachometer monitored drive for the governor so you can dial up a speed and adjust at the precise points. Packard did have several different governors available -- some customers wanted quicker OD engagement and others wanted later.

Posted on: 2021/9/6 14:45
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Thank you, Howard. I hadn’t noticed the broken lead or else I forgot about it but it really stands out in the photo. Of course, no EC in my 1951 but I’m not sure if the business side of the governor is the same. My existing one is just slightly chipped so maybe I’d better leave well enough along since I’m only trying to get it driveable under its own power!

Posted on: 2021/9/6 14:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I finally found a local company that was able to print out the tailpipe full size and worked with me until the dimensions on the printout actually matched what they were supposed to be. Of course, being so long (over 120”) it was drawn in truncated fashion so now I have to physically copy-and-paste two printouts to get it to full length, then scan it again full-size!

I already have a couple NORS mufflers in stock and the support behind the muffler is the same as any 1951-1954 Packard but I don’t have the rear-most one nor even a sample to see what it originally looked like. Is anyone parting out a Henney or has a Henney and can send me a photo of this hanger? Is there another between the muffler and rear support and, if so, any photos of it? I am aware of universal strap-type hangers but want to know what it is supposed to have before resorting to something that is not authentic.

Of course, this pipe has several long, sweeping curves that can’t be duplicated by a regular muffler shop using their smaller dies so these curves might be a bit “blocky” but it will work. I hope by the time I get back to work after the shop’s insulation is done I will have the pipe!

Posted on: 2021/10/8 19:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The fuel tank sender is out being rebuilt and I am going to soon be sealing the tank but any thoughts on how to keep the sealer out of the filler whistle?

Also, I’ve searched through about every manual and document here but can’t find what the tank capacity is as everything shows only passenger cars. Due to there being no spare tire well, the tank is full width so far larger than the 20 gallon tanks found in passenger cars. Does anyone have any idea what the capacity of the tank in a Henney-Packard is?

Posted on: 2021/10/31 13:14
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Fill a gallon jug with water. Repeat until full.

Posted on: 2021/10/31 14:02
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I actually need to know well in advance of going there so that I can order the sealer. It is far too rural to wait until I’m ready to work to find what I need!

However, I do have the rough dimensions for the tank so I support I can calculate it but I would prefer the to know the actual specification. I did find the limousine and commercial chassis specifications in the Service Counselor but they are wrong for the commercial chassis, showing it at 20 gal.

Posted on: 2021/10/31 14:12
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Kev's way is probably more accurate but if you have access to the tank and can take some basic measurements some of the volume calculators such as this one can give a fairly good estimate. You might need to allow for the any slight curvatures or any other things that would tend to reduce the dimensions but doubtful those would account for more than half a gallon.https://www.gigacalculator.com/calculators/tank-volume-calculator.php

Posted on: 2021/10/31 14:13
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Thank you, Howard. It’s about 37.75” X 22” X 7.50” which calculates to 26.964 gallons so it gets me in the ballpark as the sealer will handle up to 30 gallons. Seeing this number, I seem to recall that the tank is 24 gallons but I am not sure where I got that number! Maybe from years of driving a couple (a 1951 Combination and a 1952 Nu-3-Way) and remembering the bill.

Posted on: 2021/10/31 15:17
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 14 15 ... 46 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved