Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
150 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 150

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 19 20 21 (22) 23 24 25 ... 46 »

Re: Resurrecting a 1951 Henney-Packard Parts Car
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I have been staring at the Packard Parts List and the hard copy of the parts book for a hour now and have come to the conclusion that there is an error in Group 8.010 on the last three items but I'm not sure what it is. Can the tank have been fastened in by 8 bolts?

In the meantime, I was actually looking for the size, head and slot type of the screws that holds the fuel level sender. Does anyone know or can you point me to it in the parts book? I thought I had looked it up before but I can't find it now.

Posted on: 2022/9/11 20:41
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
No idea on the support question unless those might be the number for the brackets that hold the strap and T bolts to the frame. Perhaps they bolt with 2 bolts each.

On the fuel sender screws believe these are the screws used. Found under sender, 4.0600

Attach file:

jpg  screw1.jpg (26.88 KB)
209_631e9e78afc87.jpg 790X226 px

jpg  screw2.jpg (16.02 KB)
209_631e9e842f309.jpg 408X308 px

Posted on: 2022/9/11 21:50
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Thank you, Howard! I came across those in my search but when I saw the quantity of 1, I thought it was for something else. Perhaps another error in the parts book.

Posted on: 2022/9/11 21:57
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you mean the screws, my book says quantity of 6 with lockwashers.

Posted on: 2022/9/11 22:01
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Thank you again. I looked only on the database version where it says 1 even though I know there are 6 so I’ll check my own proofed version to see if that was caught and corrected.

By lockwasher, I wonder if it's slotted, inside or outside star-type? Are they constrained or free?

Update: yes, it shows 6 in my site's copy of the database.

Posted on: 2022/9/11 22:46
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
For what it is worth, I think my 47 probably has the same arrangement but uses 5 screws. Also Fillister head and the lockwasher is the type with a single slot or cut with one side of the cut slightly raised. Not flat material but almost looks like they were made from square wire. Separate but sized the same outer diameter as the screw head. When compressed after screw is tightened it almost looks like the screw and washer are one.

Posted on: 2022/9/12 9:01
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Thank you, Howard. I ordered some in stainless which will, I hope, arrive at my shop before I do. What you described, of course, is a standard split lock washer although it sounds by the description to be smaller in diameter than those commonly available.

Posted on: 2022/9/12 10:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Lots of goodies (parts, supplies, tools and equipment) waiting for me at the Oregon shop where I’ll be on the 8th of this month. Actually we just got back from a road trip late Thursday afternoon after nearly a week in Southern Oregon, then on the plane to Central Oregon next week. The two areas are not close and there is a mountain range in between.

Posted on: 2022/10/1 2:53
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Got to Oregon (again) late yesterday afternoon and got two of the three cars started and driven outside which I always do to get more space to move about. The third car, my 1954 Patrician, acted like it had a low battery even though I always leave it disconnected and putting it on the charger, it was charged in only a few minutes so obviously not low at all. Got it started - just barely - today and it is now outside rather than under the ambulance.

As mentioned, there were a few parts waiting along with some hardware including an assortment of grade 8 lock washers as most that I find in my hardware boxes have become permanently flat so are useless.

I cleaned up the remainder of the fuel pump's housing pieces using the ultrasonic and also managed to find the new flexible hose that I had bought for it a long time ago. I actually wasn't even looking for it and there it was!

Also did a little work on the parking brake now that I have the proper equalizer bolt, which is nearly three times the length of the one from the passenger parts car. No wonder the cable seemed too short! After attaching the cable anchors to the frame, I can't quite reach the equalizer with the anchor but it occurred to me that maybe the hand brake is pulled out. With the car so high up, it will take a ladder to check it! Otherwise I'll loosen the linkage adjusters to get some play. The photo here shows the equalizer attached but the other ends weren't tight yet. Once they were, I couldn't get this back together.

Then finally, a little work to the transmission and as is clear in the photo, this is the one with stripped gears. Getting the planetary assembly off was quite easy once I realized that a burr on the end of the spline was holding it. Now I want to take off the rear pawl housing but it doesn't seem to want to move farther than shown here. Any ideas?

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_2982.jpg (306.78 KB)
60923_63436bd26bd28.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  IMG_2985.jpg (252.38 KB)
60923_63436ccbca78f.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  IMG_2988.jpg (188.26 KB)
60923_63436e543aa26.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2022/10/9 20:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

r1lark
See User information
I always look forward to your updates Don!

Posted on: 2022/10/10 6:22
Paul
www.studebakerskytop.com
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 19 20 21 (22) 23 24 25 ... 46 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved