Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 155

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

37 Light switch removal
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

bgalla
See User information
There must be some trick to removing the light switch from the dash. I'm restoring a 120 and I'm stumped. Help! Bruce

Posted on: 2020/4/5 19:09
 Top  Print 

Re: 37 Light switch removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Just to get you started.

If it's like 1940, the knob has threads into the switch's nut and a rod with a right angle bending down on the end. The bend fit through a hole in the slider that controls which lights are turned on and through a flat retaining spring above it.

You have to push down on the spring.

Even if you remove each wire and label it for its terminal and unscrew the entire switch, you still have to release the knob rod from the switch to get everything out.

It may be different but similar on a '37.

Attach file:

jpg  (186.57 KB)
1067_5e8a7d03cc45e.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (279.48 KB)
1067_5e8a7d190ee33.jpg 1920X1456 px

Posted on: 2020/4/5 19:51
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
It is not easy when the round bezel behind the knob won't cooperate. This is what unscrews the knob from the switch/through the dash...it is captive on the shaft of the knob. This is why there is a $$ortage of 37 light switch knobs. That bezel is a thin brass cover over a "nut" which must be unscrewed. there are two small penetrations at 180 degrees which can be seen when the knob is pulled out. I use a pair of right angle needle nose pliers to turn the bezel with the knob out. Don't even think of putting a pair of channel locks or anything around the perimeter - you'll distort the chromed brass cover and ruin it, costly mistake.

If this doesn't make sense, ask for clarification.

Posted on: 2020/4/5 21:55
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Again, not sure if the '37 is same or similar to the '39, but I made a very simple 'wrench' to undo the nut. It took 10 minutes and I can post a pic if it would be of any help. It is basically a piece of steel stock 5/8" wide with a 90 degree bend, about 1/2" long on the end. It's then cut away in the middle to go over the shaft of the light switch and the two little 'fingers' that are left ground down to fit the slots in the bezel. Works perfectly. Chris.

Posted on: 2020/4/6 0:33
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
I bought this for my youngest son's Jag to remove dash controls. I don't know the measurement, but could get them. I think Chris' idea is the most practical, or file a piece of pipe of the right diameter.

https://www.sngbarratt.com/English/#/US/parts/a970fea8-aaf3-4e05-9ff8-5b64926e440a?fromList=Search%20for%20%60tool%60

Attach file:

jpg  (42.69 KB)
1067_5e8b226722b2d.jpg 750X750 px

Posted on: 2020/4/6 7:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Joe,

That one works for the switches where the knobs pull off, but with the light switch, where the knob is permanently affixed to the shaft, one needs something that can address the bezel nut at 90 degrees, thus the Flackmaster saying needle-nose with 90 degree ends CAN work. The tips can be a little too big though and rather than grind down a good set of pliers, my little doo-dad was easy to make and fits the slots. I will post a pic later today - I have to go out to the garage and round it up. Chris.

Posted on: 2020/4/6 12:05
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

bgalla
See User information
Gentlemen: Thanks so much for the advise photos and knowledge. Unfortunately I have already damaged the bezel for I could see the slots and knew this had something to do with it all. I have a 1099 which was my in-laws honeymoon car and another 1099 with lot of rust damage beyond repair. Between the two I can make one, for the honeymoon car has tons of missing parts. No doubt you will hear a lot from me in the future. Thanks again---- Bruce

Posted on: 2020/4/6 12:17
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

bgalla
See User information
Packard Newbe: a photo of the tool would be great! I have relatives in BC. Have been through Princeton. We are from N. Calif. Bruce

Posted on: 2020/4/6 12:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hi Bgalla,

Wow, small world and shrinking daily, isn't it!? Good to hear from you and hopefully we can all get back to some inter-cross-border travel sometime soon. The closed border is a real pain. Here are a couple of pics of the tool I made; works perfectly, both for removing and reinstalling and tightening the switch bezel back up nice and snugly. Good luck with your '37! Chris.

Attach file:

jpg  (190.64 KB)
121627_5e8b8988bfeae.jpg 1732X1154 px

jpg  (145.19 KB)
121627_5e8b899f15119.jpg 1732X1154 px

Posted on: 2020/4/6 15:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
O right, Chris. The toggle switches it has to slip over are much smaller than the Packard knobs.

Attach file:

jpg  (101.71 KB)
1067_5e8b9e8b12e1f.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2020/4/6 16:26
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved