Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
84 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 80

Christopher, CartRich, Plugs1, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

49 Standard Eight 23 series door handle spring
Just popping in
Just popping in

Chuck Gross
See User information
I'm replacing the exterior door handles and bezels on my 49 standard 8 4 door. There's a small spring that retracts the handle into position. It slips over the pin that connects the handle to the bezel. Can't figure out how to get the spring in the correct position to insert the pin. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Chuck

Posted on: 2020/5/14 14:02
 Top  Print   

Re: 49 Standard Eight 23 series door handle spring
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not sure if this handle is the same as yours. It is from a 22-23 series but with the single screw it may be an early 22nd version. If handle is the same the spring appears to be an ordinary 180 or maybe a 225 degree torsion spring. It looks like it just lays in the slot. One leg is resting on the bezel flat surface and the other leg is resting on a similar flat spot in the handle. Pin just goes thru the spring center and when the handle is operated the legs are forced upward as if trying to wind the spring and provide the tension.

If the spring is a 180 degree it should just lay in with minimal added effort to partially wind the legs but if a 225 degree then there would be a fair amount of tension to overcome and you would need to use some kind of clamping arrangement with soft pads -- maybe like a quick grip clamp -- to hold the center of the spring down in the slot while the pin is inserted.

Attach file:

jpeg  (70.71 KB)
209_5ebdb33c24044.jpeg 1280X513 px

jpg  (8.48 KB)
209_5ebdb48d51271.jpg 394X212 px

Posted on: 2020/5/14 16:14
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Chuck Gross
See User information
Thank for the reply. Clamping did the trick.. Time of success ended up taking 2 hours on door 1, 1 hour on door 2, and 1/2 hour to finish door 3 and 4. Clamping took the tension off the spring so the pin could be tapped in. chuck

Posted on: 2020/5/14 16:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Chuck Gross,
to PackardInfo, and I invite you to include your '49 Eight Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2020/5/15 0:52
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved