Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
119 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Aftermarket Air Conditioning
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
One other thing to be aware of if using a Sanden on a positive ground car is that they are generally expected to be used and may come wired for negative ground. Some but not all of the Sanden clutches have a built in protector diode to shunt back EMF generated by the collapsing magnetic field to ground so it does not damage any solid state electronic components in modern AC units.

If using a Sanden with a diode and positive ground, you can remove the diode and leave it out because there is nothing on a stock Packard that would be damaged. Because of polarity, it is not likely there could be any solid state components in any aftermarket AC you could use but if there could be any on the same power supply as the compressor then you would need to leave the diode but reverse the connections on the diode. Leaving it intact and having a positive ground will result in a direct short and at the least would blow the diode and a fuse or at the worst, damage the switch or thermostat controlling the clutch.

Attach file:

jpg  sanden.jpg (108.75 KB)
209_6133fc85ca975.jpg 1670X1130 px

Posted on: 2021/9/4 18:13
Howard
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Marc Williams
See User information
A very belated "Thank You" for your time and information..............Marc

Posted on: 2021/11/4 20:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Hoard R134a because it is being phased out. It breaks down in 6 to 8 weeks but a patent was made for r1234 which breaks down in a few days and so they bought off the EPA and got a mandate. You can build some planet killer monster truck but make sure it has r1234. I am in full agreement that irresponsibility is destroying humanity's habitat, but the stupidity involved in this greenhouse gas stuff has me thinking the world will be better off when we have done ourselves in.

Posted on: 2021/11/5 16:38
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Marc Williams
See User information
I only found your reply/information this am. I will print and file. My attempt to add the AC will begin April when I return from Florida to NC.

A most sincere "Thank you" for your information.

Best of Health.............Marc

Posted on: 2021/12/26 11:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

r1lark
See User information
Quote:

Marc Williams wrote:
I only found your reply/information this am. I will print and file. My attempt to add the AC will begin April when I return from Florida to NC.

A most sincere "Thank you" for your information.

Best of Health.............Marc

Marc, you should have stayed in NC this winter.......it's been in the high '60s/low '70s for the last week or so here in Kernersville!

Posted on: 2021/12/29 9:31
Paul
www.studebakerskytop.com
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Marc Williams
See User information
Paul,
We are neighbors. I am in Greensboro. Is there any possibility of my coming to your home and "picking your brain," in the spring.

If not, I respect your privacy. Marc

Posted on: 2021/12/29 11:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
So far, this discussion has focused on the engine compartment. Attached is a creative integration example of the controls and outlet tube of a retrofitted air conditioning system.

Click to see original Image in a new window

"...the A/C or heat comes out of the radio grilles..."

source: vaultcars.com

Posted on: 2023/7/9 4:56
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not bad. Only downside to the speaker grill as an outlet -- unless there is another control of some type even more disguised and working louvers behind the dash, is possibly a lack of ability to direct airflow.

Another shoutout for commendable integration work would be to Joe W. and his 23rd series AC install.

I don't believe Joe used the speaker grill area as an outlet but he did do a beautiful job of adding other outlets to the dash to make them blend in and look more like they belonged. Since he is using a different radio setup, also did a great job of mounting the AC controls in the opening where the radio face would have been.

For anyone contemplating adding AC to their 22-23 series and interested in details of his work and items used, other photos of the install are available at Tinman_70's more complete project blog on the PAC forum.

Posted on: 2023/7/9 9:27
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
One man's solution to installing an AC in a 6+ car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMFV6Wfo1j0

dp

Posted on: 2023/7/9 18:35
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Good video. Others have also mentioned using the 12v Sanden as is and they do apparently work OK -- particularly once the engine is running and generator is producing the normal charging 7+ volt output. I think Dwight has one in his 54 factory air car and there is at least one more aftermarket install in a Packard somewhere in Southern CalIf.

Do like the way he did the belt as the idler pulley takes care of a lot of issues when there is only the one long belt option. Downside is cars with wider belts like Packard sometimes used usually do not take very well to bending backwards on small diameter idlers. Not sure there would be room for a much larger one and anyone with a 356 and the thick 1" wide belt would probaby be out of luck. I expect those of us with that setup will need to find or make something like the special prewar fan pulley with the AC groove or figure out a second drive pulley groove somewhere else.

Do wish he had been more specific about the 6 to 12v inverter he used for the blower motor. Many of them specifically say for electronics only and not for use with motors or coils.

The old Nash seemed to move along quite well even though the engine sounded like it could use a valve adjust. I just hope his luck holds out when he blows thru the next stop sign like he did the one on the drive.

Posted on: 2023/7/9 19:03
Howard
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved