Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
114 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 112

29tons, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

'40 110 brake drum interchange?
Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
is there a 'common' part interchange for the 110 brake drum? I know a fair number of other parts on the car are universal; The RF drum on my beat up 110 is likely beyond salvage.

Thanks for any info.

Posted on: 2020/5/30 18:12
 Top  Print 

Re: '40 110 brake drum interchange?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hi Tsherry,

I'll be watching this one closely to see if anyone has a source, but I THINK the answer is 'no'. Best one can do is come up with a decent used. I would sure think there would be a good market for repro-ing these drums, but they probably vary from year to year and model to model so much that reproducing them would be logistically impossible. Otherwise, it would be done by now.... Others on the site will have more and better info and either have a source or someone may even have one they are willing to sell. Good luck. Chris.

Posted on: 2020/5/30 18:24
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
The 35-41 Parts List, available for free download on this Site, shows the only Packard interchange is with '41 110 rear front drums(#347048 #347047), see attached pic.

If someone has a Hollanders Interchange Manual(used to have one, but it's now gone) they may be able to tell if there's anything else that will fit. But I doubt it.

Just realised it's front drums not rear! Now corrected.

Attach file:

png  (102.49 KB)
226_5ed2f833eb311.png 393X402 px

Posted on: 2020/5/30 19:23
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I don't know about interchange but I might have a couple 1940 110 drums laying around if you need them.

Posted on: 2020/5/31 13:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
I have had 'an ear to the ground' for drums for my car, mostly because I know they are fairly scarce, and eventually they will be required. Mine all seem okay right now, but I was wondering what the differences are between the various part numbers? Like I notice that a 1939 1700 takes a different part number than a 1701, which is VERY close to the same vehicle. What can be so different that they require a different drum? I certainly get it that the front and rear are very different, but is there any 'interchangability' between any of those many different part numbers for NEARLY the same car??? This might seem like a stupid question, but if they are indeed, all unique, it would sure answer the question as to why no-one has tackled the 'repro project' on them!! And good luck finding NOS or even good used as time goes on!! Chris

Posted on: 2020/5/31 14:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I can't answer from actual experience but the Eight, being a longer and somewhat heavier car, either has larger diameter drums or perhaps drums for wider shoes.

Posted on: 2020/5/31 16:00
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Hollanders 16th Edition (revised) indicates the only brake drum interchange (front and rear) for the 1940 Packard 110 is the 1941 110.

Posted on: 2020/5/31 17:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hi Dave, Hope you're staying well through all this craziness. Re your post, that concurs with parts page Mal provided, showing the same part numbers for 1800/1900, front and rear respectively. Does your book show anything for '39 1700?? Chris.

Posted on: 2020/5/31 17:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hi Don,

Thanks and 'hi'... your reasoning sure sounds 'correct'. I was under the wrong impression with the model numbers, thinking the 1700 4 door touring sedan was the base model and then the business coupe and wagons, etc., went 1701,2,3 etc., when in fact, ALL those 'Six' vehicles are 1700, an '01 moves up to the 120, 8-cylinder and then, with more weight and power, a bigger, thicker, even wider drum would make sense. Always learning with these cars!! Stay safe. Chris.

Posted on: 2020/5/31 17:55
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes it does, Chris. There is interchange between 1937 thru 1939 6-cylinder models with 11 inch drums. No interchange outside of Packard.

And thanks for asking, doing OK here and hoping for some relaxation from our confinement restrictions in the next week. On the Packard front my local club did get specific instructions from our State Police which allowed us to do a drive-by Memorial Day parade at local Paramus NJ Veterans Home where more than 70 residents died from the COVID. We mustered about 18 cars for the event. Needless to say we were all thrilled to have the opportunity to bring even this little bit of pleasure to the remaining residents and staff.

Posted on: 2020/5/31 17:59
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved