Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
94 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 93

pmhowe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

D-Day
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Anyone else notice there was hardly a mention of D-day this year? I guess like everything else it gets lost to coronavirus and protests and looting....

Posted on: 2020/6/6 20:25
 Top  Print 

Re: D-Day
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Fair point, John, glad you brought that up. It seems Covid-19 has eclipsed a lot of events and anniversaries and it is important that 'we remember', especially dates like D-Day. No matter how crazy things get in this 'new normal' we're all trying to deal with, I think the horrors that soldiers faced in the trenches of the Great Wars, would make this pandemic look a lot less traumatic than it seemingly has become. Not to trivialize or marginalize the tragedies of the corona virus' toll one bit, rather add some perspective. Chris.

Posted on: 2020/6/7 0:20
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The problem with the virus is that medical personnel were subject to undue risk. Two hospitals near me shut down because the personnel all got sick. When I was stuck at home indoors I even had second thoughts about standing on a chair to clean lighting fixtures because if I fell and broke a bone I wouldn't be able to get it set. Thus, it would probably develop gangrene and have to be sawed off.

I am not a big fan of war memorials. Especially when the participants aren't alive anymore. I don't hold a grudge against the Germans anymore than I do the Italians for enslaving my ancestors back in 20 AD Europe. I lived through Vietnam and hated every minute of it. As well, the dead aren't here to express their opinion on the subject.

Posted on: 2020/6/7 5:15
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Yeah the WW2 vets are few in number these days. But I still feel it is important to honor their sacrifice.

Posted on: 2020/6/7 7:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
I absolutely noticed the non mention of the allied lives lost on this date in 1944. The news was too busy trying to divide Americans into groups. My local station did a fluff piece on people doing exercises in a field.

Posted on: 2020/6/7 8:14
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
Part of reason is even most of us citizens and members here do not remember D day I was 4 months old then. Did learn about it when young from my father and uncles who were in service during WW2. People don't remember for to long things they were not directly involved in. I remember my time in army but not so much the bad guess our minds tend to forget bad and keep good stuff on from of memory. A lot of people do not have a understanding of history or even care about it I always liked history and still do. Past was not all good or is the present we just have to live it and remember ro respect ourselfs and others

Posted on: 2020/6/7 9:28
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning...It seems like the Media of our time concentrates on one major story at a time and as the staff of all the papers, radio and television stations, and even social media become younger...1941...has just simply faded away...it is perhaps just history now...like World War 1 or the Civil War...Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2020/6/7 13:36
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
I have always thought the US does a very good job of honouring their military, both vets and current service men and women. Yes D-Day IS 'just' history now, but no different than we come together on November 11th to honour and remember the fallen from World War 1, there is value in observing other notable dates in history, for many reasons. Its about gratitude and respect, and it is just 'the right thing to do'. As the sign over the museum at Dachau, one of the most notorious death camps of Nazi Germany says, 'Those Who Forget History Will be Condemned to Relive it'. Human sacrifice in war is ultimately about preservation of the freedom we enjoy today. It hardly seems an imposition to remember, honour those who made the ultimate sacrifice and say thank you in our own way. 'Lest We Forget'. (D-Day was June 6th, 1944) Chris.

Posted on: 2020/6/7 20:49
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I remember when Nov 11 was known as Armistice Day. Later changed to Veteran's Day to honor all veterans.

Posted on: 2020/6/8 8:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Human history is a trail of tears. It will never improve.

In "The Thin Red Line" James Jones expressed his opinion that wars are about real estate. Right now we are living in a relative lull with war taking place for stupid reasons. One day some nut will think he has figured a way to gain territory through modern war and everything will go up in smoke again.

"Hells Angels" by Howard Hughes expressed the opinion that wars are toys of rich elderly sadists to steal the gift of youth.

My favorite line from "Paths of Glory" is "... we are fighting a war that must be won ..." meaning there is no glory in war, only winners and losers.

Posted on: 2020/6/8 15:35
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved