Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
96 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 94

29tons, John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Just popping in
Just popping in

Restoric
See User information
First time poster--acquiring a '53 Caribbean Polaris Blue. Trying to determine the meaning of the numbers off the car and approximate value...expert advice would be much appreciated. The VN is 2678 2131 (Paint Scheme C Trim Code 3) The theft proof number is C00482. One number off the driver's side on the block is 446017 (before the "327" and "Packard Thunderbolt" and another number on the front of the block is 419592. These appear to be out-of-range from the chart I found on this website, should I be concerned about that or look for more numbers? The body is in very good condition, painted before it was stored 30+ years ago but owner passed away before the chrome and any parts could be reinstalled. Seats will need to be re-upholstered but the rest of the interior looks good. All parts seem to be here. Any thoughts on value? I know there are many variables but is it reasonable to assume it could bring $15K to $20K as-is? I know their value is on the downturn in recent years. Thank you for your time and consideration--

Restoric

Posted on: 2020/6/7 13:26
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Welcome to the forum.

To decipher all the numbers there are charts in the Introduction to the 48-54 parts manual.http://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/partslist4854/48-54_Intro.pdf

The official VN is the number stamped on the door jamb plate. 2678 is the body number for a 1953 (26th series) Caribbean which is built on the 2631 Chassis. 26 for series, 78 for body style. The 2131 is the sequence number starting from 2000 so yours would be the 131st Caribbean built.

The two large numbers on the head or block are casting numbers and not really useful for much. The motor number should be stamped on a smoothed pad just below the head and slightly above the starter motor. A correct 53 engine for a Caribbean will start L4xxxxx. If the motor number is not found above the starter it could be stamped directly on the block somewhere around the distributor. In either place the number can be faint or covered in grease.

The large embossed number on the firewall over the heater box is commonly referred to as the Body ID or theft proof number. It is of no real value today since very few records still exist. One member of the forum is keeping a database of known numbers along with the VN and motor number if you would like to share that missing motor number.

There should be one other number stamped on a small plate screwed to the firewall. That is the Briggs body tag with the number the body was given when Briggs built the body. It may match the VN but can also be several digits off since the official VN was assigned when body was placed on Packard's assembly line and bodies did not necessarily go on the line in the order they were received from Briggs.

Trim and color info starts on page XIV of the parts book intro section. Paint color C is Polaris Blue but trim code 3 is a question. Are you sure it is not 73? That would be a blue and white genuine leather combo which would be correct in a Caribbean. If it is a 3 that would be a light gray leather (maybe combined with a white leather) which would not typically be on a Polaris Blue 2678 model. Of course Packard would do some special orders so not out of the question. If by some miracle the build sheet is found taped on the metal cover above the glovebox that would probably answer the question of a special order.

When researching or ordering mechanical parts, those are usually listed in the parts books by what chassis they fit. In your case a 2631 chassis but when ordering trim or body items, those generally are designated by body number so the 2678. If a part is used on many models there would be a series number followed by a string of chassis or body style numbers such as 26xx-78-xx-xx.

Posted on: 2020/6/7 13:52
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Restoric wrote:
First time poster--acquiring a '53 Caribbean Polaris Blue. Trying to determine the meaning of the numbers off the car and approximate value...expert advice would be much appreciated. The VN is 2678 2131 (Paint Scheme C Trim Code 3) The theft proof number is C00482. One number off the driver's side on the block is 446017 (before the "327" and "Packard Thunderbolt" and another number on the front of the block is 419592. These appear to be out-of-range from the chart I found on this website, should I be concerned about that or look for more numbers? The body is in very good condition, painted before it was stored 30+ years ago but owner passed away before the chrome and any parts could be reinstalled. Seats will need to be re-upholstered but the rest of the interior looks good. All parts seem to be here. Any thoughts on value? I know there are many variables but is it reasonable to assume it could bring $15K to $20K as-is? I know their value is on the downturn in recent years. Thank you for your time and consideration--

Restoric

The biggest issue is that no one can possibly respond appropriately to these questions without seeing good, clear set of photos of this Caribbean and parts. Let's see what you have there.

Interesting that in my records 2678-2130 (the Caribbean on the line right before yours) was also painted Polaris Blue.

Posted on: 2020/6/7 18:25
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Restoric,
to PackardInfo, and I invite you to include your '53 Caribbean in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2020/6/7 19:44
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Restoric
See User information
Thank you all for the taking the time to respond and the thoughtful replies, there is obviously a plethora of expertise on this Forum. I expect to extricate the car from its cave in the next week or so and planning to lay all the parts out on a tarp to inventory. I will be able to get better photos and check for those numbers. Yes, there was faint mark on the tag and it does appear to be a 7 which makes sense now given the blue and white interior. Gladly register it when the deal is finalized.

Restoric

Posted on: 2020/6/7 22:50
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved