Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 113

dallas, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: Packard Gray Engine Paint
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
BigKev -

I am not surprised to hear that your order wasn't filled properly - or even that the gray isn't the correct shade. After all, ANYONE can make a mistake. However, it's how someone handles their mistake that show what they're made of.

Alas, your recent experience is another example of INFERIOR customer service in the hobby.

In my humble opinion, that they expect YOU to ship THEIR mistake back at YOUR cost is unreasonable. That's the kind of crappy service that caused me to stop ordering from outfits like J.C Whitney.

If this is the way the Bill Hirsch company handles their mistakes, then I will no no longer recommend or use their products. I'm glad we have an open forum to discuss situations like this and warn fellow hobbyists of the potential for problems.

Posted on: 2007/7/1 8:30
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I am hoping that they will make it all right. I really think that they do have good products. Perhaps Murphy had his hand in this.

Alot of people use there products without any problems, and I think the quality of there produts is good. Perhaps they had an intern putting the labels on the cans and shipping the orders. You never know.

Posted on: 2007/7/1 10:46
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Like I said, anyone can make a mistake, but I think it's their handling of the situation that stinks. They should have issued a "call tag" to pick-up the defective products - at THEIR expense - then refilled your order correctly.

The claim that their paint is guaranteed never to burn off is something of a gimmick. There's always another excuse for failure of a coating (usually surface preparation or application), and you can bet yer bottom dollar that they know it would cost you more to fight it than to walk away.

Yet, we're not talking about paint burning off here, but color.

In my humble opinion, the REAL reason that hobbyists buy this product from Bill Hirsch is the wide range of colors in engine-grade enamels, matched to specific year/make/model applications, that they offer in both brush-on and aerosol containers.

So, when they send you the wrong color, the product fails to meet the purpose for which it was intended, and the responsibility rests fully with them.

As such, I will not do business with any vendor who fails to step up to their obvious responsibility in cases like this, but remain hopeful that you get your satisfaction.

Keep us posted.

Posted on: 2007/7/1 11:11
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
UPDATE:

I talked to one of the guys are Hirsch this morning, and according to him there chart shows that the Packard 48-54 Gray is a very unusual dark gray that almost looks it has some brown in it.

I always thought from the pictures I have seen on the net that it was a light-med gray.

Does this gray get lighter as it ages? Or are the pics I have just washed out from the flash?

I'm totally confused now.

The customer service rep asked me to call tomorrow and speak to Bill Hirsch himself. I guess Bill is a Packard guy and can hopefully clear up any confusion. But they did say if that there was indeed a problem with that can, they would like to get the can back so they can track the quality issue back to the manufacturer from which they contract it.

Posted on: 2007/7/2 11:06
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
When I read your original post about Hirsch not covering charges to correct his order, I did get in touch with him about it, so I'm glad your back in contact. I've known Bill for more than 30 years, he's a classy guy and would never expect a customer to pay for his own mistake.

Posted on: 2007/7/2 11:42
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
BigKev -

Meanwhile, what of the black manifold paint that they sent you instead of the cast gray that you ordered?

Posted on: 2007/7/2 11:57
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The correct cast gray cans will arrive here tomorrow. They shipped the replacement cans the same day the wrong cans were received back by them.

So they were responsive in that aspect.

Posted on: 2007/7/2 12:29
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
BigKev,

The PAC website defines the Packard engine gray as:

Gray is medium or dark gray or similar to "Sears gray front porch enamel".

There is very little gray paint left on my '50 356 engine head or block but what there is appears to be pretty dark. I think I'll roll under the car with putty knife and solvent to see if I can find a pristine patch of paint on the oil pan (it was painted the same color as the engine, right?). I expect to be painting the engine sometime late summer or early fall. While I have no intention of ever having the car judged, I would like the car to be as close to factory original as possible/practical/affordable. If all else fails, I could always just get a gallon of Sears gray front porch enamel...
Yes, I'm kidding.

Posted on: 2007/7/3 9:40
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
My memory says our 1952 250 engine was a much lighter gray than your picture shows. That's just my opinion and worth what you paid for it. Note that Mr. Dyneto went out of his way to question the situation and how it was handled. I know Mr. Dyneto and it doesn't surprise me that he would intercede over what may be just a misunderstanding. Us Packard nutz gotta stick together.

Posted on: 2007/7/3 9:48
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Another "for what its worth" comment. Last weekend I both helped paint (with Kanter's Packard gray) a 1950 engine, and my own from porch deck and steps (with Benjamin Moore alkyd Deck Gray). The engine gray might have been a hint lighter, but not much. It appears very close to the "Crane Gray" that Packard used for their factory-reconditioned engine short blocks. I've not seen an original 48-54 engine with what I'd call "dark" gray.

Posted on: 2007/7/3 10:40
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved