Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
105 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 103

bertus cardinaal, westernshrouds, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 14 15 ... 144 »

Re: KPack's 1954 Panama
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I found a 2-barrel air cleaner but I do not see the bracket and I'm not sure what it looks like. This air cleaner looks like the one in my 1951 327 but differs in some things such as the bracket as I don't see the place to attach it that my other car has so it must use a different type. Unless I can better identify it, it might be better to contact Mike at Tucson Packard to get one that is known to be proper for your car. Be sure to tell him I sent you!

Posted on: 2020/7/1 20:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
With respect to the carburetor photograph. That would be the Carter catalog part number.

118-33 is associated with the WDO, while 118-68 is associated with the WGD. The part is known as a 'dust cover'.

See the diagram in this Service Counselor link:
http://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL23NO11.pdf

Posted on: 2020/7/1 21:15
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Let the Ride Decide - thanks, I looked closer and found the cross reference to the filter. I had overlooked it previously.

Ross - That's what I had thought, but wanted to confirm. Any Dexron ATF will work? Dexron III, IV, or universal?

Don - Below is a picture of the bracket that is on my block. I can't confirm it's original. It looks like it might be bent flat steel with a groove cut into it. But it looks like it should be in the right place for an oil bath air cleaner. I have no idea if a '51-52 cleaner would fit or not. I'll check with Mike, but if you have one I'm interested.

David - Great info. So it looks like the carburetor might actually be original. It's so caked in junk that I haven't been able to find any other markings yet. For sure it has been messed with though. I seem to remember reading that the WGD in this car had an automatic choke. At some point in the past a manual choke was added. You can see the line for it in the picture, complete with an interestingly-rigged support for it.

-Kevin

Attach file:

jpg  (99.96 KB)
1059_5efeb37b44b25.jpg 576X1024 px

Posted on: 2020/7/2 23:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I had a look at my 1951 Henney's cleaner and bracket today and see that it is actually the same as the one that I have on the shelf. The bracket shown above, though, is different and not original, or at least its not like mine. The original is open at the bottom slot too and doesn't have a curve to it.

That said and looking at the parts list, there were many different cleaners and it varied between model and body style. I know that those on my former 1951 and 1952 Henney-Packards were the type that did not have the side piece needing support but my current 1951 was a special order military model with different and quite specific specification and the air cleaner type was one of those.

I suspect it's this one which shows different models up to 1954 so if yours is in there, then it may be it. Otherwise you may want one of the other types of air cleaners.

2401 (BODIES 2462-65-92-95-98); 2501; 2601-33; 5400-01-33
OIL BATH, INCLUDES SUPPORT BRACKET, USE WITH 2 BARREL CARBURETOR

Posted on: 2020/7/2 23:44
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Kevin, your carburetor should have a triangular brass tag mounted to the upper cover that shows the Carter model number as seen in the attached photo.

Attach file:

jpg  (176.65 KB)
1137_5efec97a38896.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2020/7/3 1:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Here is the bracket for the air cleaner. If this is the type of air cleaner your year and model should have, this is what look for. I have the air cleaner which looks far better than this one but not the bracket. Incidentally, the photo is not upside down but the air cleaner is.

Attach file:

jpeg  (340.32 KB)
60923_5effec1abf67b.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2020/7/3 21:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Wareham
See User information
Is that bracket in the picture used to hold a manual choke cable? Can't see where the end goes.

Posted on: 2020/7/4 8:36
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The air cleaner bracket on your engine I don't think is factory. It appears too short for the stock smaller engine cleaner and almost looks like someone tried to duplicate the short holder for the style of cleaner Packard used on the 54 Senior 359 engine. As far as I know Packard never used a filter in the senior style for anything other than a 4 barrel but they were used by other mfgs. Perhaps there was a 2 barrel variant a previous owner found at a junkyard. That is how I found a 4 barrel version when I needed a cleaner for the one missing on my 54 Pacific. Believe mine came off a Buick and maybe other GM cars had a 2 barrel.

Attach file:

jpg  (44.96 KB)
209_5f008b9a4a96e.jpg 1074X814 px

jpg  (112.50 KB)
209_5f008c7615bcb.jpg 900X1200 px

Posted on: 2020/7/4 9:04
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Howard, the one I showed was a stock factory Packard air cleaner and bracket while the air cleaner you showed was 1954 359. Other senior models used the type I showed from 1951 through 1954 and it is even depicted in the service manual on the opening Engine page. My 1953 Patrician (the 4-barrel version) and several others I've owned used it and was common on the 9-main 327 with two barrel and 4-barrel carb. The parts book lists it for both too and, of course, lists the one you showed for the 359.

That said, the parts book does not show it for the 1954 Panama but it also doesn't show it for my 1951, yet it was standard equipment on my specific model.

Attach file:

jpeg  (228.00 KB)
60923_5f00b3c096bec.jpeg 1936X1488 px

Posted on: 2020/7/4 11:52
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I know the type filter I show was used by Packard only on the 54 senior engine and I believe the Panama should have the same cleaner that was used on the 53 seniors maybe even the one with the long flattened neck section extending over the carb.

What I was trying to say is since the bracket looks home made it might not have been for the original cleaner. I believe I read in one of the earlier posts that the carb might not be the original. It has already been changed to a mechanical choke so was thinking that if the carb is not original or has had modifications then perhaps the bracket was made for an air cleaner which was not the original either.

Posted on: 2020/7/4 12:09
Howard
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 14 15 ... 144 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved