Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
95 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 92

Ozstatman, William Grosz, r1lark, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 54 55 56 (57) 58 59 60 ... 144 »

Re: KPack's 1954 Panama
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Great job Kevin. When would be a good time to drop my Packard off for a new headliner install??
John

Posted on: 2021/2/24 9:39
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Would steaming the headliner remove the wrinkles? Seems I have read about this being done to make the material tight. Just a thought... Enjoying your project posts and admire your progress.

Posted on: 2021/2/24 11:03
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Mike - I can't help but be drawn to that sail panel area because it's so visible. I'll ask a guy I know and see what his thoughts are. The window tracks and beltline trim will be much easier in this car because they are straight. I'm just trying figure out the right size for both before I order. Then I need to figure out how to remove the windows.

BigKev - After seeing how nice yours turned out when the professionals did it, I was seriously considering having a pro take care of it. The problem was everyone I talked to was booked out until after April. I didn't have that kind of time so I figured I'd try it myself.

John - It's by no means a perfect job, but I'm relatively pleased with the outcome. There are a few things I would do differently, now that I've been through the whole process. I stretched to the front, then to the back, then started doing the sides in the back. If I were to do it over again I would've started the sides in the front, then worked my way back. I ended up with some wrinkles at the front that I can't get rid of because the mounts for the sunshades keep the #1 bow and seam from being pulled forward anymore. I think I can hide most of it and blend in any wrinkles, but it won't be a perfect job.

JWL - I've heard of steam as well, and I may try that. I asked an upholstery guy about the fold marks from shipping, and he said those will disappear over time. The most important thing is that the headliner is tight, which mine is. It sounds like a drum anywhere you tap on it. The problem I have with the sail panels is that the fabric was nice and tight there with no wrinkles, but as soon as I cut into it and mounted the lights, it pulled the fabric in a different direction (towards the outside of the car) and thus created wrinkles. If I back the screws out a bit from the mounting I might be able to less the wrinkles.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2021/2/24 11:56
 Top  Print 

Re: KPack
Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Talked with the upholstery guy I was mentioning before, and for the wrinkles by the lights, he suggested cutting an "x" relief pattern out close to the screw holes that hold the light on. I had previously cut an X pattern, but not to that extent. I did as he said, and it did help, though there are a couple of wrinkles I will not be able to get rid of. Same with a few small spots in the front. As such, I'm downgrading my self-grading to a 7.5/10.....definitely not a professional job, but I believe it is good enough to move forward. The picture makes it look better than it really is.

I've been getting all the trim installed on the inside, and getting the unique weather stripping installed above the side windows. The hardtops have a huge piece of weather strip that goes from the very back of the rear quarter window, along the top of all the side windows, and down the rear of the windshield pillar. The weather strip also has "built-in" windlace on both the outside edge, as well as the inside, and it wraps around a part of the stainless trim piece that shows on the interior of the car. My weather strip is not in the best of shape. However, I don't see it reproduced on the Steele website. If they do reproduce it, I wonder if they bother to put the fuzzy material on it.

Upon reinstallation, I ran into a problem that I don't have an answer to. The stainless pieces that hold in the said weather strip had some sort of rubber strip underneath them to help seal against water intrusion (more like tar impregnated rubber). However, the piece of stainless that goes over the rear quarter window had no such rubber when I originally took it off (both sides). That can't be right. There has to be some sort of rubber there, or water would go right around the trim piece. I can't find anything to confirm this though.

-Kevin

Attach file:

jpg  Trim pieces going back in.jpg (98.98 KB)
1059_603dd5aae613e.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  Integrated windlace.jpg (115.17 KB)
1059_603dd5deb67d7.jpg 975X1300 px

jpg  There is no rubber between the trim and body.jpg (121.27 KB)
1059_603dd5ecdd4cf.jpg 1138X1300 px

jpg  This is immediately after first removing the trim piece.jpg (63.78 KB)
1059_603dd5f763d59.jpg 768X1024 px

Posted on: 2021/3/2 1:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

r1lark
See User information
Kevin, this fall go back and compare what the headliner looks like then with the pics you have posted. I think you will be much more pleased with your installation because the heat will slowly make the wrinkles disappear. Put the car outside on some of the hottest days this summer with the windows closed, that will help too.

Good work on this beautiful Packard, keep the reports coming. You are getting things done much faster than I seem to on my projects!

Posted on: 2021/3/2 9:19
Paul
www.studebakerskytop.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Kevin, if you get my headliner in half that good I'll be happy....

Posted on: 2021/3/2 9:57
 Top  Print 

Re: KPack
Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
After weighing my options I decided that the best course of action would be to drive down to Tucson and pick up the replacement windshield myself. I didn't want to trust a shipping company with something so fragile. So I left after work on Friday, drove until midnight, stayed in a hotel, woke up at 5 and drove until I reached Tucson at 10pm, only stopping for gas. It was about 25 hours total.

I met Mike from Tucson Packard, and got a tour of the shop and all the parts they have. I was blown away. There are many parts cars there in various states of disassembly, but the shop buildings themselves are completely stuffed to the brim with parts from all years and models. I was like a kid in a candy store. If we had more time I would have picked up a ton of stuff, but it was late and I didn't want to keep Mike from his family, so I made it quick. I picked up the windshield (Mike kindly protected it with bubble wrap and placed it in an original Packard box), some replacement front springs, and some fender skirts. It was great to talk with Mike and get to see his operation. Nice guy.

I found a hotel, slept for a few hours, then got up early to drive another 16 hours to somewhere in Idaho. I finished up the drive today...something like 50 hours and 3000 miles in a weekend. I'm beat. I got home and then gently cut away the packing to check the windshield. It all arrived in one piece, thank goodness. It's a clear piece of glass, whereas I think mine was originally factory green tint. It's not in perfect shape, but it will work. I'm just happy to have it.

Now I need to figure out the best way to install it. Any tips from those who have? I've read the Service Manual on it, but want to know if others have any advice.

-Kevin

Attach file:

jpg  Driving to Tucson.jpg (112.67 KB)
1059_6046ad657d3de.jpg 1300X975 px

jpg  Tucson Packard.jpg (188.35 KB)
1059_6046adefc17eb.jpg 1300X975 px

jpg  Tucson Packard parts.jpg (238.91 KB)
1059_6046adfe06bf1.jpg 1300X975 px

jpg  Windshield home.jpg (168.86 KB)
1059_6046ae2044ae0.jpg 975X1300 px

jpg  Windshield back in one piece.jpg (154.35 KB)
1059_6046ae57b6942.jpg 1300X975 px

Posted on: 2021/3/8 18:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Great to hear Kevin. Quite a drive to undertake for sure but I guess you got what you needed and no breakage.

Posted on: 2021/3/8 19:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I think BigKev put a new windshield gasket in during his restoration.

Posted on: 2021/3/8 19:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I had the pleasure of meeting Mike, his brother and their father Sandy a couple years ago when I dropped in unannounced. Got the grand tour too but no parts that I was looking for although I have bought parts from them since. Over the years, they also bought parts from me what I was more active on eBay.

Posted on: 2021/3/8 20:54
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 54 55 56 (57) 58 59 60 ... 144 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved