Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
82 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 80

Spencer B., 39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 61 62 63 (64) 65 66 67 ... 146 »

Re: KPack
Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Got a start on the brakes today. Didn't get as far as I wanted, but at least I'm moving. I took the passenger and driver's front drums all the way apart. I left the backing plate on there for now. Haven't made up my mind if I'm going to pull the backing plates off and repaint. Probably will.

Driver's wheel cylinder was leaking, passenger was not. But local NAPA had new wheel cylinders for about $15 so I picked up new ones. Shoes on the driver's side had a lot of meat like the passenger side. Inside of drums need to be cleaned up a bit, but the guys that looked at them said they don't need to be turned. I also picked up some new hold down springs and pins. Didn't get new return springs because they look like they're fine (but I don't know anything).

I was hoping to pull the rear drums today but the local parts stores do not have a puller that will work. So I will have order one on Amazon and hope it gets here soon.

Bearings on both sides appear okay, I think. At the very least I'm going to clean them up and repack them. Can I reuse the seal on the front inner bearing? I haven't pulled them out yet.

I want to swap the front springs out for the ones I picked up from Tucson, but I'm not sure how to go about it. Do I just disconnect the upper control arm and let the lower down carefully on a jack? I'm also concerned that the springs I have aren't actually right. The replacement springs have 10 coils, but I think the ones on the car have 9....but it's hard to see and be certain.

New rubber hoses and drum puller are coming. I'm measuring out the brake lines to see what length I need to get. I'm going to try and use the premade lengths at NAPA so I don't have to flare everything.

-Kevin

Attach file:

jpg  Driver front.jpg (163.32 KB)
1059_605fccea40096.jpg 975X1300 px

jpg  Driver brake shoes.jpg (195.91 KB)
1059_605fcd00de177.jpg 975X1300 px

jpg  Spindle wear on driver.jpg (164.61 KB)
1059_605fcd201f6b5.jpg 975X1300 px

jpg  Wheel cylinder leaking.jpg (231.99 KB)
1059_605fcd37345f8.jpg 975X1300 px

jpg  Driver stripped down to backing plate.jpg (178.71 KB)
1059_605fcd53e2e92.jpg 975X1300 px

Posted on: 2021/3/27 19:27
 Top  Print   

Re: KPack's 1954 Panama
Home away from home
Home away from home

r1lark
See User information
Quote:

Dell wrote:
To be on the safe side I would take the drums to a brake shop and see if the drums are turnable, they might be over size already and need to be replaced. The shoes are bonded and if the city you live in is large enough you should be able to find a shop that can bond on new lining. They do this for trucks all the time. A good shop can turn the drums and ark the new
shoes to fit the newly turned drums. I never say that is good enough with brakes.

Kevin, when you get the shoes relined, make sure you give them the drum inside diameter after the drums have been turned, that way they will be correct for the actual drum size.

Posted on: 2021/3/27 21:28
Paul
www.studebakerskytop.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Kevin in a few posts you’ll probably have a question or two about setting / checking the rear axle bearing clearance. I’ve been working on a shop manual supplement on this bearing clearance subject for a while now, and if you don’t mind you could be the ultimately motivated proof reader for me. Deal?

Posted on: 2021/3/27 23:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Ross Miller adjusted my brakes last week and they are solid now. They've never felt this good.
An expensive shop in Oregon that specializes in muscle cars 'adjusted' my brakes and pedal and stoplight switch poorly last year before I left for MD. They messed them up because they didn't understand how the brakes and handbrake should be done.
Ross made this little video which I wish I had watched long ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1Zc3aW18Z4
Check it out, Kevin, since you're working on the brakes. You're doing an amazing job on your car.

Posted on: 2021/3/28 11:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
On the brake work, it will help to get a brake tool kit and even an inexpensive one like this will do the job.

For the steel lines, you can get them already bent to the proper shape and size through Classic Tube. Don't worry about what it says in their site - you can order individual pieces too. Also don't worry about the models they list possibly not including yours. Just compare to the parts book. For 1951-1954, the only differences are power vs non-power brakes and I doubt that's a real issue as I put power brakes into a 1952 and used the same lines.

Posted on: 2021/3/28 13:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Paul - I don't plan on relining the shoes. The fronts are still in good condition from what I can tell. The rears are unknown. I'm planning on just taking them in to NAPA and replacing them with new shoes. Like BigKev said, I really don't want to drive into the rear drums again anytime soon.

David - That will be very helpful! I plan on pulling both axles and getting new seals on both, so I will need to set the bearing clearance as well. I'll let you know how it goes.

Joe - I've watched Ross's video several times, and it's very helpful (thanks Ross!). I'm planning on adjusting my brakes exactly how he does. Just need to get these rear drums off!

Don - The Panama is at my neighbor's place on his lift, and he has all the brake tools...that is, when I can find them. His shop is a mess. But the right tools make all the difference...the spring tool is awesome. I'm going to see what I can do with bending my own lines, but it's nice to have Classic Tube as a backup.

I'm on a timeline to get the car off the lift within two weeks. My neighbor needs it for his own car soon.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2021/3/28 16:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The brake tools come in handy for more than just brakes too! On my Patrician blog, I used one to insert the little metal disk at the bottom of the steering column which held it in place against the stiff spring while I put in the cotter pin.

Posted on: 2021/3/28 17:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
I learned from another thread that the part number for the springs is stamped on the upper coil. So I took a look at my springs and found #455055.

Checking the master parts list here, I found that these are load 2650 rate 120 lbs.

They are meant for the 5426 model the Executive Sedan: https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/modelinfo/viewmodel.php?model=30.

The Panama (5411) specifies load 2040, rate 90. Way lower than the Executive Sedan. So I won't be swapping springs right now. I'll just roll with a lean for a bit.

Anyone want some springs for an Executive?

-Kevin

Attach file:

jpg  Wrong springs.jpg (183.53 KB)
1059_60612d0a813d2.jpg 958X1300 px

Posted on: 2021/3/28 20:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Question....which wheels are correct for the car?

While working on the brakes I'm planning on having all the old mismatched tires removed and the old rims sandblasted. Then prime, paint, and new tires when the brakes are done.

Problem is I apparently have two different styles of wheel. I have two of wheel #1 and three of wheel #2. The offset is obviously different on both of them. Wheel #2 will put the tires further out towards the side of the car.

Which wheel is correct?

-Kevin

Attach file:

jpg  Wheel 1.jpg (368.38 KB)
1059_6061f2f2bab3b.jpg 1015X1300 px

jpg  Wheel 2.jpg (258.19 KB)
1059_6061f30175901.jpg 983X1300 px

Posted on: 2021/3/29 10:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe the top photo is correct for a 54. It has the nubs on the center section for the half size hub covers used on some Clippers in 55 and I think was on some 54 models also.

I don't see the nubs on the lower wheel but do see the slots and holes that would be for attaching the riveted on clips which held the clip on type covers. I believe that type cover was only used thru 50.

Posted on: 2021/3/29 10:45
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 61 62 63 (64) 65 66 67 ... 146 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved