Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
123 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 121

29tons, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 92 93 94 (95) 96 97 98 ... 144 »

Re: KPack's 1954 Panama
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I believe that the tip was originally cut at an angle (at least it was on my 1951 Henney-Packard based on the factory blueprint) but otherwise it looks great! It's amazing how quiet a car is with good exhaust.

Posted on: 2021/9/20 18:13
 Top  Print 

Re: KPack
Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Thanks Don. Here's the tailpipe with the chrome tip. I do like the look.

Attach file:

jpg  20210920_171615.jpg (357.83 KB)
1059_61492585e300b.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2021/9/20 19:21
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you wanted to try authentic you could keep an eye out for the official Packard accessory tip.

Attach file:

jpg  exhaust.jpg (80.17 KB)
209_614926fe07c99.jpg 1616X776 px

Posted on: 2021/9/20 19:28
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I use the same tip that Kevin has I like the way or looks over the factory accessory. However, one of my parts cars still had the original accessory and I believe that there are, or were, reproductions available. Under the one on my parts car was the angled cut on the pipe itself which, without, pushes the exhaust against the tip and quickly discolors it. Not so with the round tip.

Posted on: 2021/9/20 20:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Howard, Kanter has repro's of the Packard tip. I had my eye on them, but when the exhaust guy popped the round one on I decided to leave it as is for now. Maybe in the future I'll change it out.

The smell is significantly improved, but we are still getting far more in the cabin than what we should. It's not coming from the exhaust now, but I'm pretty sure it's coming from the road draft tube. I'm definitely getting some vapor out of the tube at idle....no idea if what I'm seeing is a normal amount of if I'm seeing significant blow-by. Back when I checked the compression numbers they were all high....something like 130+ on all cylinders.

How much of this is coming through the firewall? I haven't put new seals on the heater box (where the hoses enter). And my fresh air duct hoses are in pretty bad shape. The flappers are closed and seem to seal okay, but probably not well enough. I don't think I have any pedal gaskets either. Also missing most of the door weather stripping.

Would fixing all this solve the smell issue? Or should I just do a PCV valve conversion? It does get annoying smelling like a lawnmower every time I drive. Definitely improved after the exhaust, but not good enough.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2021/9/20 21:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Nice Job on the exhaust! Door and trunk weatherstripping helped alot in my car with keeping out exhaust and blowby smell. I would say do that before delving into a pcv.

Posted on: 2021/9/21 13:22
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Quote:

Tobs wrote:
Nice Job on the exhaust! Door and trunk weatherstripping helped alot in my car with keeping out exhaust and blowby smell. I would say do that before delving into a pcv.

Good advice. I was surprised the other day when I opened the trunk after a drive and caught a lung full of exhaust fumes. Half of my trunk weatherstrip is missing. So it seems like the negative pressure from driving down the road is sucking the fumes back into the trunk, then into the passenger compartment. I'll get that rubber ordered and installed.

I still need to seal off the heater box and check for other leaks in the engine bay. Door weatherstripping is going to be a while before I get to it.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2021/9/22 17:24
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
I still need to seal off the heater box and check for other leaks in the engine bay.

If you haven't done them already don't forget the rubber edge seals on the flapper valves for air vent shut off and heater shut off. The way Packard placed the intakes for the air vent tubes behind the grill, the vents are amazingly efficient in sucking in the exhaust from the car in front of you and can blow past a poor seal. Damaged cloth ducting on the vent tubes either leaking or partially slipping off at one end and leaving a gap is also another good source of engine fumes into the car.

Posted on: 2021/9/22 18:10
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Quote:
I still need to seal off the heater box and check for other leaks in the engine bay.

If you haven't done them already don't forget the rubber edge seals on the flapper valves for air vent shut off and heater shut off. The way Packard placed the intakes for the air vent tubes behind the grill, the vents are amazingly efficient in sucking in the exhaust from the car in front of you and can blow past a poor seal. Damaged cloth ducting on the vent tubes either leaking or partially slipping off at one end and leaving a gap is also another good source of engine fumes into the car.

When I took apart the heater box and associated vent, it was apparent that someone before me had replaced the seal with sheet rubber (probably from a tire inner tube). It was in good condition, but not sure how well it sealed. I left it as is. I might need to look at it more closely. As well as the cables to the controls on the dash. For sure at least one of them is broken.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2021/9/23 22:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Quote:

When I took apart the heater box and associated vent, it was apparent that someone before me had replaced the seal with sheet rubber (probably from a tire inner tube). It was in good condition, but not sure how well it sealed. I left it as is. I might need to look at it more closely. As well as the cables to the controls on the dash. For sure at least one of them is broken.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2021/9/23 22:18
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 92 93 94 (95) 96 97 98 ... 144 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved