Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 93 94 95 (96) 97 98 99 ... 144 »

Re: KPack
Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
What am I looking at here?

While doing something else in the garage I noticed a nice puddle under the Panama. I get plenty of drips (power steering, engine oil, and trans), but this was a rather large puddle.

Looks like it's coming from the shaft on the driver's side? Selector shaft? What would be causing the fluid to leak out like this?

-Kevin

Attach file:

jpg  Transmission leak.jpg (111.13 KB)
1059_614d440bc852b.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  Transmission leak 2.jpg (103.46 KB)
1059_614d441962451.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2021/9/23 22:21
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If it is definitely not coming from the weep hole in the bottom of the bellhousing and somehow running or being blown back to drop down from the side farther back then most likely it is the seal around the manual or throttle valve shaft -- manual on the drivers side, throttle on the passenger side. Both seals are common leak spots.

If an oil pan bolt has been overtightened and distorted a hole or two on the pan it could also be a poor seal between the pan gasket and case.

Overfilling can also raise the fluid level enough that it gets picked up by rotating parts or foams and can get thrown up and out the breather on top of the trans. An improperly installed speedometer and governor drive gear on the output shaft will also throw fluid out the breather.

Posted on: 2021/9/23 23:07
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Thanks Howard. I need to pull up the carpet to check the breather at the top, but this looks to me like it's coming from the shaft seal. Anything to be overly concerned about here? Besides discoloring my concrete?

Incidentally, while the Panama was up on the hoist getting new exhaust put in, I took the opportunity to see where all my drips were coming from.

As seen above, the transmission (Ultramatic) is leaking from the driver's side shaft seal. Drain plug and gasket flange seemed pretty dry.

The engine seems to be leaking from multiple spots. I can't tell where it's all coming from. Looks like a bit from the drain plug, definitely some from the bell housing, and maybe some from between the pan and block. It's wet where the gasket is if I put my finger up there. Not sure if it's traveling from somewhere else of if it's leaking from the gasket. Gasket is new from Olson's, and both mounting surfaces were perfectly clean.

Power steering is leaking at the main lever arm (bad picture, sorry). And also appears to be leaking at the piston. Slow leaks, just a few drips here and there.

Front driveshaft joint is spitting a bit of grease as well.

My experience with leaks like this is very limited. What could be the cause of these (minus the transmission discussed earlier), and what am I looking at to correct them?

-Kevin

Attach file:

jpg  Transmission linkage leak.jpg (126.09 KB)
1059_614de87652b6d.jpg 1300X975 px

jpg  Oil leak.jpg (125.95 KB)
1059_614de88bcd882.jpg 1300X975 px

jpg  Power steering arm leak.jpg (142.63 KB)
1059_614de89a822ba.jpg 1300X1733 px

jpg  Power steering piston leak.jpg (176.36 KB)
1059_614de8a6ea3c5.jpg 1300X975 px

jpg  Driveshaft grease.jpg (222.01 KB)
1059_614de8b54ebdb.jpg 1300X975 px

Posted on: 2021/9/24 10:03
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If the bolts attaching whatever pieces that leak are tight I doubt there is much you can do if a particular seal or gasket is already leaking other than remove and replace it. Some have had minimal luck with one of the modern snake oil products guaranteed to swell dried seals or gaskets and stop a leak but I doubt if many did for long term and especially not if the seal has cracked or sealing surface became roughened. Back in the day some seals and gaskets were just made of leather or natural cork which can dry, crack or shrink. Some of the old paper gaskets also shrink or become brittle so they cannot hold much pressure against them.

Modern materials have come a long way in curing those ills and most seals and gaskets can be replaced with a modern composite or even with a thin layer of RTV. Unfortunately some specific items Packard used may have been custom made or designed around an item in common use then but not available today in anything other than old stock.

A lot of engine leaks come from the front seal or timing cover and run back. Sometimes the oil filter gasket can seep and of course, the oil pan holes getting distorted just like the transmission pan is another source of leaks. The oil pan drain plug gasket can be replaced with nylon or a new fiber gasket of even copper if one of those as long as the machined plug or pan surface is not damaged and is the actual source of the leak.

Not much to be done with power steering other than change the seals and pay attention to the orientation when doing so. If the rod sat in one position for years sometimes there is a faint corrosion ring around the rod at the spot where the rod and seal were positioned together. With the high pressure against the seal that damaged area will seep a bit every time it moves across the seal. If other spots on the rod have corroded or become rough nothing can be done wihout a renewed rod.

Posted on: 2021/9/24 10:44
Howard
 Top  Print 

Re: KPack's 1954 Panama
Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
The driver's side selector shaft seal can be replaced from the outside. I did this while the transmission was out of the car, but if you can get the car up high enough so you can work comfortably I think it can be done with the transmission in the car, others may want to weigh in here. You have to dig the old seal out, I used one of those cheap seal-extractor tools, but I think I had to augment that with use of pliers, screwdriver, etc, but be careful not to scratch the shaft or the seal bore. The seal is readily available from the vendors, and according to the cross-reference it is a standard seal (5569 SKF) though I got mine from Max I think.

I don't know enough about the Ultramatic driveshaft to be definitive, but there is a rebuild kit available from the vendors too, and somewhere on here somebody said that there is a Chrysler boot that works too.

I had a lot of leaks that was simply the oil pan gasket, it is a pain to take off but can be done again with the engine in the car, you have to disconnect the steering idler arm, and turn the engine so that the crankshaft is out of the way. RTV the gasket to the pan and then use a thin layer of lithium grease on the engine side, is what I did.

Posted on: 2021/9/24 11:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Thanks for the advice. I've been watching the leaks the past few times I've driven the car and they, for some reason, aren't nearly as bad at the moment. I'm not exactly sure why the transmission leak was so pronounced that one time. Now it's back to the small drip that it had before. Eventually (once I get a lift) I'll get under it and get everything leak free (hopefully).

I've been piddling around with different things on the car, when I have a few minutes to spare. I wanted to try cleaning up the door panels to see if any of the old vinyl could be salvaged. It would be nice to have SMS do new panels, but they aren't accepting orders right now, some people have been waiting well over a year to get theirs. So I'm exploring options to see what I can do.

I took the driver's front panel (best condition) and tried some stuff out. First I gently cleaned it with soft brush and mildly warm soapy water. Wiped off the water immediately so it wouldn't soak in. This step alone made a big difference.

The vinyl was still very stained on both the blue and the ivory. I assume it was mildew, grime, etc. It wouldn't come out with soap. I tried some leather cleaner for vehicle upholstery with mixed results. I switched to a stiffer brush because the soft brush wasn't doing anything. Still couldn't get everything out.

Found some stuff that has worked for other people...Zep All Around Oxy Cleaner (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M5BLHKW?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details). I sprayed it on, let it sit for a couple minutes, then used a stuff brush to gently scrub it in and work it around. Immediately wiped off with microfiber cloth. I used a toothbrush in the embossed areas to get what I could out.

The Zep did a great job and cleaned it up better than I had hoped. It took out almost all of the stains in the vinyl. Overall the panel came back looking fairly good. The backing board is a mess and some of the vinyl is ruined, but at least now I might be able to salvage a few of my door panels and buy some time. The passenger front panel though.....don't know if I can save that one.

-Kevin

Attach file:

jpg  Door panel before cleaning.jpg (139.19 KB)
1059_61563751163f4.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  Door panel after soap and water.jpg (133.47 KB)
1059_6156375f2ee21.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  Door panel mildew stains.jpg (108.58 KB)
1059_6156376b09586.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  Door panel after Zep.jpg (138.28 KB)
1059_615637787143a.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2021/9/30 17:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
I haven't done much to the car in the past week or two. All time to work on the car has pretty much evaporated with the building of a shop on the property. It's something we've been wanting for a long time, and started the process at the beginning of the year. It's finally gotten to the point of building, and it's been a mad rush to get all the prep work done and a bunch of side jobs. All my free time has been going to that. The crew building the structure should be done in a week or two, then it'll be a mad rush again to get concrete done before it gets too cold. Sometime next year I hope to have the shop finished enough for things to start moving into it, including the Panama.

But I have had a couple opportunities to drive the Panama with my wife and kids. She continues to run rather well, though maybe a bit more noisy on the engine that what I would like (is it normal to hear a brand new fuel pump all the time?).

Some really nice fall colors coming on, so I took all the kids around to admire some of the trees. The seatbelts really help to keep the young ones planted and not running around the rear cabin.

-Kevin

Attach file:

jpg  Shop build.jpg (164.01 KB)
1059_6163aa06323d2.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  Fall driving 1.jpg (136.02 KB)
1059_6163aa1a824b7.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  Fall color 3.jpg (183.59 KB)
1059_6163aa2aa8c78.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  Fall color 4.jpg (148.83 KB)
1059_6163aa3a010e7.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2021/10/10 22:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
Hi Kevin; I see that you are missing the lock knob on your drivers door. I have an extra one left over from my convertible project. I will gift it to you if you need it with a set of escutcheons. All I request is that you send me back the postage. Dell

Attach file:

jpg  0-4.jpg (55.82 KB)
1697_61644068b26e8.jpg 525X700 px

jpg  0-1.jpg (59.25 KB)
1697_616440cbe1f31.jpg 525X700 px

Posted on: 2021/10/11 8:49

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Late on the reply on a few things, but here it goes:

1) The Clipper grill trim is indeed painted black in the grooves. The ones on my car were NOS in the factory wrappers.

2) I bought a replacement gas cap from Dwight at Hershey, he drills the vent holes himself. I brought one to replace my original style one that the painters oversprayed. But given the style is different, I'll just media blast my existing one and paint it with some cadium paint. The vent hole in my original is baffled. You can't see light through it. Dwight's you can.

3) I got my exhaust deflector from a place that sells hot rod parts. It looks just like the original.

I try and find photos.

Posted on: 2021/10/12 19:02
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Gas caps

Attach file:

jpg  20211012_185223.jpg (145.89 KB)
1_616622494bd7c.jpg 1440X1920 px

jpg  20211012_185239.jpg (137.22 KB)
1_6166226661bb2.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2021/10/12 19:03
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 93 94 95 (96) 97 98 99 ... 144 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved