Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 107

John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 121 122 123 (124) 125 126 127 ... 144 »

Re: KPack's 1954 Panama
Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
"The pressurized fuel line to the carb is uncovered..."

I believe that the line from the pump to the carburetor was covered with a sleeve of woven material, at least on the pre-war cars. That would serve to prevent some radiant heat from the exhaust manifold from reaching the line. My car has a covering on the steel line from the fuel pump to the carburetor, but the presence of the Carter glass bowl/ceramic filter at the carburetor inlet probably defeats the line insulation. After stopping my car, I can see the gasoline in the glass bowl bubbling. A leaky float needle would make this worse by reason of releasing pressure on the line as it flooded the engine. I need to get a fuel pump heat shield and maybe put a sheet metal heat shiled between the fuel filter and the engine.

Posted on: 2023/5/16 22:09
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Don - I don't know what's considered "normal" regarding the fuel bowl on these cars. Maybe it's normal to have it be half to mostly empty? My car seems to run fine....it never struggles for fuel, and there is always more than enough in the accelerator pump. I guess I think that the fuel pump should always be pushing fuel and that the needle and float will determine how much fuel is let into the carb. If the pump is working well then I would think it would force fuel into the fuel bowl until it's allowed into the carb. Right?

TxGoat - The vacuum side of my pump is hooked up to the manifold and the wiper motor, as it should be. The sound is more internal to the pump.

My dad's '38 has the woven covering on the fuel line. I've not seen the same on a 50's car, but then again I haven't seen a huge amount of them.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2023/5/17 0:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
I've had a fuel pump that made a sort of hooting sound as it worked. It worked OK, so I didn't worry about it. A leaky fuel pump valve might make a noise. I'd be more concerned about any kind of knocking oe clicking sound coming from the pump.

I would think the glass bowl would stay full on a car that was running, but that does not seem to be the case. If the car shows no sign of fuel starvation, I'd ignore it.

Buicks in the 1950s came with a glass bowl filter mounted up near the carburetor. These filters had a typical fuel inlet and outlet, and a third outlet at the top of the filter casting that had a line running back to the fuel tank connected to it. The purpose of the
arrangement was to allow bubbles to escape, as well as limiting fuel line pressure at the carburetor and also keeping the fuel pump and lines cooler by circulating gasoline continuously back to the gas tank. You might look online for an image of a 1959 Buick fuel filter. The only difficulty with putting
a similar filter on a Packard would be the lack of a return line tap on the gas tank. If you don't mind modifying the tank, a return line could be T'd off the fuel line near the carburetor. It would need a restrictor to limit flow rate to assure that fuel reached the carburetor.

But if the car runs fine as-is, I'd leave it be.

Posted on: 2023/5/17 8:49
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
My 1965 Cadillac has a glass bowl filter that is very similar to that on the Packard but, as TxGoat described, it has three connectors, the third of which vents back to the tank. However, only cars with A/C had the third line. I don’t recall ever seeing its bowl full either.

Posted on: 2023/5/17 11:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Good to know that others have seen the same as I'm seeing. It doesn't appear to be a problem, so I'm going to leave it alone and focus on other things.

I need to pull the hood off and clean up the rust underneath. Then paint and install a hood pad. Not looking forward to getting it off.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2023/5/17 13:35
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The original hood pad on a 54 is a yellowish fiberglass-looking pad. It isnt the nicer-looking black one that the 55/56 cars used.

I'm not using one on my '54.

Posted on: 2023/5/17 13:40
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
The original hood pad on a 54 is a yellowish fiberglass-looking pad. It isnt the nicer-looking black one that the 55/56 cars used.

I'm not using one on my '54.

Yeah, this is an area where I will fudge the originality just a bit. I picked up a hood pad that is a dark gray/black fiberglass material. Similar to the original material but the black will look much nicer than yellow.

I could run without one, but the inside of the hood is pockmarked from rust and the hood pad will make things look much cleaner. It should help with any vibrations going through the metal too.

Either way, the hood needs to come off to clean up the rust and repaint the underside. I'll probably pull the hood springs and levers while I'm at it and repaint those too.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2023/5/17 13:58
 Top  Print 

Re: KPack
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Be anxious to see what adhesive you wind up using and the pad coating or bonding process needed to keep it in place. The factory method or cement has not seemed to have made it into the common knowledge status yet. Some have said it was upholstery contact cement -- the super strong type which is bought in bulk and sprayed out of guns but I never found anything in writing or know how successful it actually might be.

The "super or extra strength" spray can contact adhesive recommended by some vendors seems to let go fairly often. Maybe it is the underhood heat or maybe the pad needs some kind of surface prep before adhesive is applied to such a porous surface I still have a mostly new black and yellow fiberglass pad that was put on a 54 Pacific. It was put on with the super strength "commercial upholstery" spray can stuff and stayed on the hood all of about a month before It wound up draped across the engine.. Dwight's 56 repro pad with the vinyl covering has a different surface he says will hold glue better so he recommends super strength spray can stuff. Never put the one I bought on so cannot say for sure he is correct.

Posted on: 2023/5/17 15:08
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Be anxious to see what adhesive you wind up using and the pad coating or bonding process needed to keep it in place. The factory method or cement has not seemed to have made it into the common knowledge status yet. Some have said it was upholstery contact cement -- the super strong type which is bought in bulk and sprayed out of guns but I never found anything in writing or know how successful it actually might be.

The "super or extra strength" spray can contact adhesive recommended by some vendors seems to let go fairly often. Maybe it is the underhood heat or maybe the pad needs some kind of surface prep before adhesive is applied to such a porous surface I still have a mostly new black and yellow fiberglass pad that was put on a 54 Pacific. It was put on with the super strength "commercial upholstery" spray can stuff and stayed on the hood all of about a month before It wound up draped across the engine.. Dwight's 56 repro pad with the vinyl covering has a different surface he says will hold glue better so he recommends super strength spray can stuff. Never put the one I bought on so cannot say for sure he is correct.

I'm going to try the upholsterer's contact cement...the same stuff I used to do the door panels and headliner. I'll shoot it through a gun again. We'll see how it does. This stuff is MUCH better than anything that comes out of a spray can. Will it be enough? Maybe, maybe not. But I'm willing to try and see.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2023/5/17 16:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I replaced the hood insulation pad on my 55 Clipper. I used a double layer of the insulating material to give the pad some thickness and improve the look. Sprayed the engine side black. Used a 3M rattle can spray adhesive initially, but ended up redoing the outside edges with a tube of 3M weather strip adhesive. I was most pleased with the results. Here are the photos of the job. Hope this helps.

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_0007.jpeg (61.62 KB)
565_6466618202e25.jpeg 640X480 px

jpeg  IMG_0008.jpeg (54.82 KB)
565_646661956d7ae.jpeg 480X640 px

jpeg  IMG_0010.jpeg (61.04 KB)
565_646661acdba59.jpeg 480X640 px

jpeg  IMG_0013.jpeg (54.27 KB)
565_646661c4313fc.jpeg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2023/5/18 12:35
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 121 122 123 (124) 125 126 127 ... 144 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved