Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
39 user(s) are online (26 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 38

Don Shields, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1951 wiper pivot arm removal
Just popping in
Just popping in

Donpack
See User information
51 200 club sedan
How do I remove the wiper arm pivot assembly? I removed large Phillips screw and small flat under cowling. But how do I get the cable off? Sorry forgive ignorance.

Posted on: 2020/6/13 22:46
 Top  Print   

Re: 1951 wiper pivot arm removal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You need to remove tension first. Instructions for servicing the various wiper parts including installs and removals are in the 51-4 service manual. Pages 3 & 4 of the INSTRUMENTS section.https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/servicemanual5154/Insturments_XIII.pdf There is also an exploded illustration of the assys plus cable routing on plate 157 in the 48-54 parts manual. Before removing the cables take note of where and how the ends of the cables are attached to the arms of the center drive piece. The illustration is not much help in that aspect. When replacing things there are a couple of service articles which can be pulled up in the 48-50 category in the service index found on the left menu. Those relate to getting proper tension on the cables and are also applicable for later years. Important part is not to lose control and just let the tensioners snap back under their own spring tension or the cables can be too tight.

A word of caution. The springs on the tensioners are strong and the edges of the pulleys can be sharp so be careful when releasing or applying tension back to the cables. It is a good idea to use gloves or hold the pulleys with a rag to avoid any nasty cuts.

Posted on: 2020/6/14 8:43
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved