Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
159 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 159

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1925 seven day non-stop trip???
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Ross, it's simple just head into the rising sun until you can't go any farther and then turn Left, Easy!
Wes

Posted on: 2020/6/22 22:44
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
I had a very informative conversation with Paul Gilger who was the tour guide for the Lincoln Highway Convoy Tour in 2019. With the issues he raised especially cross the Rockies, Nevada and Utah, no cell coverage and possible hours between passing cars, I questioned taking this trip alone and with only one vehicle.

Another friend brought up all the issues with Co-vid I'd have to deal with...motel rooms, food, etc. My age and other conditions would mean a 1-way trip to the ER if I caught it.

So now I'm thinking about shipping the Duchess from Portland OR to Potomac MD. Any recommendations on a reliable company or method? I have a POD of my furnishings leaving on July 7.

Posted on: 2020/6/30 14:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Joe, I've been travelling extensively lately, and hotels and restaurants are not a problem. Also about covid (not trying to get political) I've had some family members getting tested positive without the symptoms (asymptomatic) and the doctors told them they're not contagious. It doesn't matter where anybody is politically: both sides are trying to use it to their advantage. Also the mortality rate is on par with the regular flu (I'm not saying that covid is like the regular flu but the mortality rate is).
I think I'd take the northern route (cooler) and go for it. I-80 or I-90 is busy enough to not to worry about being stranded. You'll probably never have another chance to take a Packard cross country.
If you go late summer than I-40/route 66 would be a nice route (right now I-40 from Arizona to Texas would be 100F.

Posted on: 2020/6/30 18:28
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Thanks, BDC. I was thinking of taking the Lincoln Hwy or Route 66. But now, with all the issues of moving, I'm thinking I'll ship the car. The hobby will have a lot of East Coast activity next year and then there's the Henry Joy tour, Hershey, Amelia Island. I'll have plenty of driving opportunities.

If I drove from here it would be the first week of October. I'm packing and it's not a lot of fun.

The only time I shipped the car was in the early '80s up from California. Red somebody was the trucker. I think he mainly ran north and south on I-5.

Posted on: 2020/6/30 19:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob Supina
See User information
Thirty years ago I shipped my '67 Mercedes 600 with a major carrier. Did not think it was necessary to specify a closed trailer. I had dropped it off at the carrier's distribution center. When it arrived at my destination, it was on the top deck of an open rig. When the driver brought it down, he apologized for the 15 scratches from the hood ornament to the trunk lid. Somewhere in the 1000 miles he had gone under a tree branch.
Needless to say...the carrier paid for a new paint job.
Which carrier?
Sometimes the mind blots out unpleasant episodes...

Confucius said..."A word to the wise is sufficient!"

Attach file:

jpg  (16.42 KB)
441_5efbe51e3e202.jpg 342X234 px

Posted on: 2020/6/30 20:21
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Hell hath no fury like a woman whose new BMW is delivered with over 10K damage to the front end. And the driver called me(!) to come outside to deliver the news. Moral, if there is one, is stuff happens, whether the lowball company with sketchy insurance, or the big company that handles million dollar cars that expects you to have your new BMW repaired at the cheapest body shop...so what the heck, fill the tank and head east.
Hope for the best, plan for the worst. In your case, ship enclosed, top deck only. Chances are on a coast to coast run it will be transferred to another truck...so be sure CLEAR starting and driving instructions are affixed to the central dash. Go with the company that has a big insurance policy, in addition to discussing the transit with your insurer.
Unless you have a burning need to drive 3000 plus miles in an 80 year old car, leave the romance to novels.

Posted on: 2020/6/30 22:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
I chickened out. I'm shipping the car by Passport Transport from Portland to Maryland. Moving creates just too many things to deal with. I'm having a couple of transmission issues that will need addressing when I get settled. Plus the co-vid. Shipping is about half the cost of driving given hotel, meals, and gas for a 3,000 mi trip. But I'm still tempted. I'll be looking for some long drives and tours once I'm on the East Coast.

Thanks, everyone, for egging me on. I appreciate the support had I decided to just go.

Posted on: 2020/7/6 9:22
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
FWIW Joe, I think you made the right call there. I do not know the cost of shipping a car across the US (although I DID ship a 6-ton sailboat from Florida to Seattle) but imagine it would not be cheap. Based on the shipping damage horror stories, would there be any merit in renting an enclosed car trailer and a 3/4 ton/ 1-ton diesel truck and hauling it yourself?? I hauled my '39 on an open trailer behind a dualie 1-ton diesel that I borrowed from a friend, and I could hardly tell the trailer was back there, albeit for only a few hundred miles... Chris.

Posted on: 2020/7/6 13:14
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
When I shipped the Clipper from Calif to Chicago, I used a company called United Routes. Which I think is a broker of sorts. But the same driver that picked up the car was the same driver that delivered it 5 days later. It was in the bottom deck of an enclosed two-story hauler towards the front on the truck and was in the same position when he delivered it. Basically he told me it shared company with 3 corvettes headed east. Those were picked up after me and delivered before me. So the car never was moved once loaded. The driver was local to the Chicago area.

Posted on: 2020/7/6 15:09
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Your decision to ship the Packard is the prudent thing to do. Maybe not as much potential fun but then maybe not so much chance for regret either.

" I'll be looking for some long drives and tours once I'm on the East Coast."

The area to which you are moving is a hotbed of Packard ownership and activity. Once you join in, local and regional tours with other Packards should be a benefit. Good luck.

Steve

Posted on: 2020/7/6 16:17
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved