Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
258 user(s) are online (167 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 257

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Opening the Trunk - Packard Clipper Delux 1954
Home away from home
Home away from home

Frank
See User information
Is there a chance anyone might know an easy fix to open the trunk on this Packard. The key fits fine and it turns all the way (with some tension) and it feels like everything is working fine but the trunk does not pop open or lift open? Can I get to the lock by moving out the backseat if I have to? My sense is that it needs some minor adjusting but I don't want to force anything because I dont want to break the key.

Attach file:

jpg  (65.11 KB)
1341_49a5ea07100f1.jpg 1280X853 px

Posted on: 2009/2/25 20:03
 Top  Print   

Re: Opening the Trunk - Packard Clipper Delux 1954
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If the key feels like it is working, have you tried pushing down on lid as you turn the key? If that doesn't help then about the only thing is to remove the striker.

I believe your car is essentially the same in the lock area as 55-6 so you can remove the back seat and with the use of long extensions (about 6 ft, and a 7/16 socket others report) reach in between the X brace and remove the bolts holding the lower striker on. Then the lid can be opened. If your car has any covering over the x braces (55-6 had cardboard), that will cause some problems removing so you don't damage it. It also helps if the trunk is fairly empty.

Attach file:

jpg  (20.55 KB)
209_49a5f5402b08d.jpg 504X363 px

Posted on: 2009/2/25 20:51
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Possible one of the springs in the lock assemble is broken. Turn the key all the way and try to bounce the trunk up and down. Also see if you can grab it by the bottom edge and pull up with the key fully turned. If neither works, then you can pull the rear seat up, and you have to go through the cardboard backer.

Due to the cross bracing, your will not be able to get all the way into the truck. So you will need to borrow as many socket extensions as you can, put then all together, and loosen the 3 bolts that hold the lock assemble to the trunk lid.

Good luck!

Posted on: 2009/2/25 20:56
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Faust
See User information
Quote:
Is there a chance anyone might know an easy fix to open the trunk on this Packard. The key fits fine and it turns all the way (with some tension) and it feels like everything is working fine but the trunk does not pop open or lift open? Can I get to the lock by moving out the backseat if I have to? My sense is that it needs some minor adjusting but I don't want to force anything because I dont want to break the key.

I haven't done this since I was a "junkyard kid", and I am not familiar with Packard locks of that vintage. But here we go. The first thing you do is pull the crankcase dipstick and clean it. Then, remove the rear seat cushion. Once the seat is removed, there should be some opening into the trunk. Grasping a flashlight in one hand and the dipstick in the other, thrust the hand with the dipstick into the trunk, leaving room to insert the flashlight. If the Packard is like most locks, there will be a slot on the trunk side. Inserting the dipstick into the slot, and turning it, should open the trunk. If the slot isn't there, well I don't know; at least you had a good look around.

Posted on: 2009/2/25 21:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
HH56's method worked like a charm for me.

Posted on: 2009/2/25 21:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Frank
See User information
Thank you to everyone in the forum for the advice. I tried WD40 in the lock and push and pulled but I think it is in the spring. I'll try to take the seat out and get to the latch. I think the seat just lifts up? I don't know if it is attached to the back bench part. I hope not because this is stiched to the upholstry. Again - thank all - frank

Posted on: 2009/2/26 19:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Unless yours is different, I believe you'll have to lift out the seat part, then undo 2 screws or bolts at the bottom of back and then lift back up off some clips toward the top and then out.

Posted on: 2009/2/26 19:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Frank
See User information
I finally got the trunk open. It took alot of banging around on the lock, pushing down on the trunk etc, more torque on the key but it did open. After it opened, I sprayed it good with WD40. The springs and lock were pretty dry. Thanks

Posted on: 2009/3/1 10:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Frank,

Glad you got the trunk open and got lots of 'helpful suggestions.'

I thought Faust's suggestion was the most creative, especially if you have a 'junk yard kid' around who is small enough to crawl from the back seat through the x brace bracket. Dipsticks and very useful. Ever as lo-o-o-ong screwdriver might work.

I will file that suggestion for future use.
DanL

PS: Before Mal asks, Have you registered your 54 black-beauty on the Owners Registry? If Not, please add it to the 340+ Packards in the garage.

Posted on: 2009/3/1 16:14
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
41ParPack wrote:.......PS: Before Mal asks, Have you registered your 54 black-beauty on the Owners Registry? If Not, please add it to the 340+ Packards in the garage.

G'day Frank,
Very re-miss of me not to have have made you to PackardInfo before this. And I'll look forward to seeing the '54 in the Owner Registry as Dan suggested.

Posted on: 2009/3/1 17:23
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved