Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 155

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: Tappet Clearance Tool J-4540? Valve Guide Driver J-2577?
Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
I just went and checked with two new valves - the valves all slide in to the new guides smooth, the intake a little bit tighter than the exhaust (as expected since the stem sizes are different so there is 0.002" clearance for the intake and 0.004" for the exhaust, according to the manual), but I can slide both of them up and down with little effort.

Posted on: 2021/3/15 20:39
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Well, just to be safe I ordered that reamer (and some valve guide brushes just for good measure), and will take care of that this weekend, also hopefully final lapping of the valves.

Posted on: 2021/3/16 18:17
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I've done dozens of valve guide replacements on Packard engines, bought generally from Egge, occasionaly from Kanter. Though I was always prepared to ream for proper clearance, I almost never found it necessary.

Posted on: 2021/3/16 18:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Thanks! Well, the tool is coming so I'll be able to do it, though as I said the valves slide pretty freely. Would there be some reason NOT to do it? I was just planning on turning the reamer by hand.

Posted on: 2021/3/16 21:33
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
As long as you have the proper size ream, no reason not to use it.

Posted on: 2021/3/17 8:12
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

54ocmac
See User information
Good evening!

I’m in need of tool J-4540 and I have repeatedly tried to get to the website for Packards of the Northwest, but get bounce-back that server cannot be found. Can anyone advise an alternate way to reach them to find this tool or alternate source or even a drawing for the tool?

Thanks

Posted on: 2022/1/6 22:25
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
A couple of notes:

1) I noticed that Max Merrit nows sells this tool (for $30) on their website, look for

J-4540R

HYDRAULIC VALVE LIFTER GAUGE

2) Here is the website for Pacific Northwest Packards:

I checked it and it still works.

https://www.pnwpackards.com/

There are email addresses in the contact page.

3) If you buy a new lifter from Kanter it comes with some instructions on how to turn the new lifter itself into a gauge by disassembling it, IIRC.

Posted on: 2022/1/6 23:04
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
And for what it is worth, a few years ago on one of the websites someone posted a diameter of .577" and length of 1.173" for the tool. If anyone has one maybe they could confirm these numbers so if someone wanted to make their own they could. I believe this is for the 288/327/359 tool and the tool needed for the 356 engine is different.

Posted on: 2022/1/6 23:13
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Yes I believe the one for the 356 engine is different - it is also sold by Max Merrit under a different part #.

Max sells two different versions of the J-4540 tool, a reproduction and what I assume are NOS. They look the same on the pictures, and don't look quite like the one I got from PNW, which isn't simply a cylinder, there is a section on one end which is relieved, so you can only put it in one way (ask me how I know).

I'll post a picture of that when I get down in the basement this weekend.

Posted on: 2022/1/7 0:33
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

54ocmac
See User information
Good morning!

Thank you so much for the quick response! Such a wealth of information and help in this “community”!!

The website address for Pacific Northwest Packards is totally different than the one listed on the Old Ride site, hence the bounce-back I was getting.

I checked Merritt’s and they list the 2 different tools, but the listings state they are for 327’s. Am I to assume 327’s and 359’s the same?

Last, if the dimensions mentioned can be verified, it might be quicker to make than buy.

Thanks again for ALL the insight and help!

Mark

Posted on: 2022/1/7 8:45
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved