Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
139 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 139

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 52 200 Deluxe in need of input/help to resolve remaining issues
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Anatole for including your '52 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry. Nice to see a smiling Packard Owner behind the wheel.

Posted on: 2020/8/27 22:25
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Howard is right about the bulbs. You can pop them out and replace them from the back without removing the gauge cluster. I didn't know that and removed my cluster to get to them.

If you do remove the cluster, the two studs on the bottom are terrible to remove. Very difficult to get to the nuts on them. I couldn't really see them, just barely feel them. Once I got them off, I removed the two visible screws from the front and it came right out. Upon re-installation I didn't bother putting the nuts back on the lower studs. It made it far easier to pull the cluster again later.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2020/8/27 23:56
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Anatole Farci
See User information
I think that's what happened and the previous owner(s) removed the cluster but never replaced the nuts!!!

I'll take my time tomorrow to gently remove the bulbs. Visually, they looked as part of the back panel but from the info, I'll look closer and follow the instructions.

PS; the car is at another location and why I can't just go and do it now.

Posted on: 2020/8/28 1:27
52 Packard 200 Deluxe SOLD
9 other cars and trucks from everywhere!
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Anatole Farci
See User information
Well, I do know now some of my issues.

Thank you for pointing out on how to remove the bulbs. My cluster was very clean and I could barely see the gap in the metal but a simple needle nose and rotation got them out.

I do have the original cluster as it is stamped MAR 52 but I do see that the previous owner(s) made few changes.

The one bulb that I saw working was the High Beam and it was in the turn signal location (per the wiring diagram and coloring chart). The turn signal is detached from the bulb housing and I need to fix it but couldn't get the bulb out with just my fingers and pushing and turning. One of the two still has the "yellowish" cover and I'm guessing it's the high beam and the turn signal should have had green lens, perhaps.

All the other bulbs are working when tested but I can see new black wire (rubber instead of fabric) used. the harness is taped so it's hard for me to trace the point it meets the old wire since I don't see any new style wire on the switch.

And as some of you guessed, the switch needs some work. The rheostat was broken and I tried to reposition the damaged spring and measure the voltage but while I was getting my 5.5v from the source, the output was pretty much less than 0.5 volt regardless where the knob was positioned. I saw coupld of used ones on Ebay (no not the $200 ones!) and waiting to hear from one to send me a picture of the rheostat to make sure I don't buy another broken one. If anyone has a spare to sell, let me know.

The clock is still a puzzle but it might be just connections. I tested both sides of the fuse and I get current flowing. The fuse is also good but when I put them all together, I don't get anything. It may just need some cleaning, some electrical spray and maybe a new spring in the fuse housing.

The switch below the headlight is still a mystery. it has 3 connections and it's a push button. I still think it's the washer. two of of the wires were cut off and one was actually a newer kind. But one that is not, I traced it to go into the steering column (best that I could tell).

most of the original harness looks good and I saw maybe 2 that had some broken covers (not like in the engine where the heat did more damage). With a replaced headlight switch, I should be able to reconnect to the black cluster wires and also retest the map and courtesy light(s). I have not taken the rear passenger light down to check the bulb. I didn't see any in the trunk as that was an optional accessory and not sure if the Deluxe had them.

Q: the vertical tail lights work but I was surprised to see them jamb everything into one bulb given that they could have easily just drill another hold for the tail light to be independent of brake and turn signal. Every little thing would add up $$ and maybe safety wasn't as big back then. Unless you have a concourse car, I can see this being a simple addition and would allow a better visibility to avoid getting rear-ended. I'll have to drive it at night to see it myself as perhaps it's not as a big deal as I think it is.

Anatole

Posted on: 2020/8/29 11:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The 51 200s were bare bones models at the very bottom of the line so not much in the way of extra expense was thrown at it. That would explain the single tail light bulb. Packard realized they made a mistake in putting the hardtops and convertible on the short wheelbase and cheapest chassis and model so they came out with the 250 to try and upscale those two models a bit by adding some more senior features (toothed grill is a good example) from the 300 line while keeping the mechanical specs essentially the same as the 200. The 200 Deluxe has a bit more chrome and a few standard options thrown in and for 52 is similar to the 51 250.

On the windshield washer, if the two hose version shown in one of your photos is the unit in the car that is entirely vacuum. Anything electric connected with that washer would be something aftermarket or cobbled together. In late 53 Packard did make an electrically operated version available but I do not believe it was a standard production option until 54. There were instructions on how to retrofit it to earlier models though so it is possible you might find one on a 51-53.

Here is a photo of the electric washer version. Note the added hoses and the tall black capped item which is the electric solenoid. 6v version had a black cap, 12v versions for 55-6 had a red cap.

Attach file:

jpg  (109.83 KB)
209_5f4a89df9b0d5.jpg 1406X1199 px

Posted on: 2020/8/29 12:03
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Anatole Farci
See User information
Thanks Howard, I just need the same thing repeated until I get it in my little brain! (in re: to the WW that is vacuumed).

I finally took the cluster out, cleaned all the glass and polished the chrome and the rings are pitted but they quoted me $75 per ring and I said no thank you!

I managed to heat glue the twisted rheostat spring and found the correct wire (weird that it was orange and not black) that is the main splice from the 5 or so new wires for each of the cluster bulbs. I didn't remove all the tape and just happen to get lucky and my Ohm found a match.

I do have dimming lights and it's OK for the current switch. Maybe one day I'll find a replacement for it.

I also soldered and fixed the turn signal light and it's working.

I think the clock is dead. I can't move it at all but the interior is very clean and looked new. I decided to deal with it later.

Fuel and engine vacuum noise is next followed by Heater fan and WW.

Thanks again for all the help.

Anatole

Posted on: 2020/9/4 11:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The plating price for the rings seems a bargain! I have a beautiful cluster that I bought recently on eBay (which, oddly, also happened to be in ultra-dry Terrebonne, OR where my shop is) for my 1951 Henney-Packard but I haven't yet decided if I will use it or not. Being a senior car, though, it might be different than yours. The original plan was to send it to a Portland speedometer shop to have the odometer reset to match the one currently in the car but I've not yet done that.

On the windshield washer, the proper control for it should be a tiny button in the center of the wiper knob on the side of the steering column. The knob is purely mechanical in nature and I believe the button is a vacuum device and there definitely shouldn't be another button on the dash!

Posted on: 2020/9/4 12:27
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Anatole Farci
See User information
Oregon and Washington have some restrictions on plating and lack of them possibly raised the price. The guy was very nice and did offer to ship them to anther state for lesser price. Of course, I agree that everything is up and 35 years ago, in Texas, I had a complete 61 ALFA rechromed (bumpers, grills, seats, dash, etc.) for $350. I was expecting around $30 per ring but was surprised by $75 which the going rate in NW and even a bargain!

I did get the wipers to move but the show the same behavior as in this other 52 200 thread (hopefully it's not the same car!) Without the wipers, it turns for 2 sec,stops. If I reverse it, it goes 2 sec the other direction and stops.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=15243&viewmode=compact&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=0

I have not yet looked at the inside mechanism as suggested and hopefully can address the issue and move to the washer.

Posted on: 2020/9/4 17:23
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved