Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
125 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 124

Tom (Packin31), more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Speedometer tips?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Scott
See User information
In my recently acquired '55 400, the speedometer cable was broken at the trans and as it turns out it's due to the speedometer head turning very stiffly. It doesn't make noise, just takes considerable effort to turn, but does turn and operate, at least until the next cable breaks. I would think it should turn freely.

Any tips on speedometer clean and lube, which I assume requires removal?

Posted on: 2020/9/11 20:47
1942 Clipper Club Sedan
1948 Custom Touring Sedan (22nd Series)
1955 Patrician Sedan
1955 400 Sedan
 Top  Print 

Re: Speedometer tips?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The sleeve or bushing surrounding the rotating portion the cable end inserts into has undoubtedly become dry and the symptom is exactly what you have had happen. If it gets any worse the speedo could start jerking and the inertia will twist the needle off the shaft.

You may be able to reach the oil hole and wick to lube with a light machine oil frequently found in the tube type applicators that come with a needle point. The hole is generally located in a squarish protrusion just behind the threads for the nut if the sheetmetal cover or a mounting screw has not partially obstructed it. If accessible you can try a few drops there and also try to get a drop or two in the space just behind the rotating portion and the solid part of the casting where the threads are. Check to see exactly where the part that rotates is located and then add a drop or two behind it and try to work it into the area at the end of the bushing. On some speedos there is a definite change of metals and colors so you can see the place. On others the rotating portion is more hidden with similar metals. I don't remember exactly how the 55-6 units are.

If you cannot access the hole then the speedo will need to come out. There is a worm gear and a gear train to the odometer portion inside that could also have dried or caked on grease that might be worth checking. For that the speedo will need to come out and have the cover removed.

Here is a cluster photo from the SM showing the locations and a 54 unit showing better detail of the oil hole and the area to try and get another drop or two of oil.

Attach file:

jpg  (75.17 KB)
209_5f5c3e6fca8e3.jpg 868X674 px

jpeg  (117.03 KB)
209_5f5c3e86db7f3.jpeg 1280X960 px

jpeg  (132.72 KB)
209_5f5c3e978e3f0.jpeg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2020/9/11 22:20
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Howard, those photos are so helpful for this very common problem that they should have some sort of easily reached folder or ??? on the website. I fear they might not come up with a search if the wrong words were searched.

Posted on: 2020/9/12 14:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Maybe start a blog.

Titled .packard fixes .

Posted on: 2020/9/12 17:57
Riki
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved