Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 113

29tons, indhd20s, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 17 18 19 (20) 21 22 23 ... 26 »

Re: Dad's 56
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
In current practice I'm not aware of anyone with worn guides on the V8s that goes the original factory route of reaming guides oversized and installing valves with oversize stems. All I know install new replaceable bronze guides and use valves with the original standard stem diameters.

There could be some who still ream the guides and use valves with OS stems, but I've not heard of that in practice for many, many years.

Posted on: 2021/6/13 13:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dads 56
See User information
Thank you very much Owen_Dyneto
!
Very good information to know, much appreciated
More information is good when I go to quiz rebuilders

Posted on: 2021/6/13 19:13
1956 Packard Executive 2 door hard top (5677A)
1956 Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan (5622)(parts car)
 Top  Print 

Re: Dad
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dads 56
See User information
I pulled the pan(again) as recommended to clean it out and check for parts of the broken lifter. that task done, I soaked the stuck valves for a couple of weeks, they finally freed up with the effort of a rubber hammer.
I then cleaned everything up, did a little valve lapping(first time) put on valve seals then reinstalled the head. ok........that wasn't so bad..... so I took off the other head and cleaned it all up(lots of carbon) did the valve lap, valve seals, then reinstalled it.

I also took the lifters out and serviced them as per the service manual

I know I may be doing things wrong but I want get it running to check the transmission and other things before the engine rebuild, Dad had an old partial gasket set laying around.

cleaned up the distributor, reset the points then rebuilt the carburetor.

pushed it outside, grabbed a fire extinguisher and went to fired it up.

Nothing, no spark. turns out I reinstalled the distributor a few degrees out.

That corrected, it fired right up. lifters still pretty noisy (sad face)

Adjusted the timing, set the carb as best I could. the car ran fairly well but then puked out the coolant. temp gauge is not working.

Shut it down and pushed it back into the garage to try to figure out the temp gauge issue.

I tested the oil sending unit previously and it functions. Also the oil light did not come on. New oil pump works well, the gasket was not seated properly on the oil filter can it it forced some oil out.

Can anyone recommend a decent external oil pressure gauge?

Attach file:

jpg  head reinstalled.JPG (240.34 KB)
216126_613d7de8a8cd1.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  Rochester carb rebuild (13).JPG (211.53 KB)
216126_613d7e66900ea.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  Rochester on car.JPG (261.24 KB)
216126_613d7e7d3c3a4.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2021/9/11 23:23
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
I think mechanical might be accurate.

For ease i would go with a 20 buck one. Electric.

They are on the web. Amazon has them. Harbor freight has the 3 unit one 15 bucks. Might might be too cheap.

1/4 inch pipe thread.

The after market sending units. I have fried with the Melling pump.

Posted on: 2021/9/12 2:13
Riki
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Personally, I would opt for an all mechanical oil pressure gauge if it is to be used as a backup. Reason being is if the gauge reading should disagree with your original electric dash gauge then another electric type would be back to the same question of which one is trustworthy and if not, is it the sender or the gauge unit that might be acting up. Even brand new gauges could have a problem but with a quality mechanical gauge there is not too much to go wrong.

I would go with an easy to read unit that offers a color or lettering style that would complement the location you are going to mount and would also try for a name brand. Bosch, Autometer, Actron all have excellent ratings at Amazon and there are others sold at various parts stores and online. Something in a middle price range should be sufficient. 100 psi maximum is more than adequate for a Packard even with the Melling pump. I would also purchase the optional and extra cost copper tubing installation kit rather than use the stock nylon tubing that most often is supplied with the gauge.

You can also get a matching mechanical temperature gauge although finding a location to install the temperature sensing bulb to get a constant water flow around it for a reliable reading would require some fabrication.

Posted on: 2021/9/12 10:00
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I have a mechanical gauge on the end of a 2’ flexible high-pressure hose which I made years ago for testing power window pumps. Obviously it’s not designed for permanent installation but it should work just as well for testing the car’s oil pump! It would need a gauge that doesn’t read quite as high (I believe mine is 200 lbs) but same idea. Easy to make and connect when needed.

Posted on: 2021/9/12 12:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dads 56
See User information
R H - I stand corrected, mechanical is what I meant, thanks

HH56 & PackardDon- thank you for your responses and suggestions.

I checked the temp gauge as per the service manual, using a good fuel sending unit. the gauge works, the wire checks out fine. NAPA temp sender does not function. a TS6464 is what they sold me. I will install the old one and try it.

the front main bearing seal leaks quite badly and the transmission appears to be leaking form where the filler tube screws into the pan. I have tightened it a little more, and will see if the leak ceases.

Posted on: 2021/9/12 22:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
If you pull timing cover i think I have the part number for seal.. If you replace the rope.

Posted on: 2021/9/12 23:55
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dads 56
See User information
R H- that would be helpful, thanks

Posted on: 2021/9/14 0:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Timkin. 472924

Attach file:

jpg  20210914_234623.jpg (250.29 KB)
4498_614196e9e1017.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2021/9/15 1:45
Riki
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 17 18 19 (20) 21 22 23 ... 26 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved