Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 109

Wat_Tyler, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Speedo Cable 43 Clipper
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tall Steve
See User information
Looking for suggestions on how to diagnose my inoperative speedometer. My 53 speedometer worded when I got it. Upgraded the transmission to OD. Speedometer worked a short while. I had another cable that came with OD transmission so changed it out. Not sure which cable is in the car now and if there is a difference between the two cables. What thoughts do you have as dad as trouble shooting this small problem?

Thanks

Posted on: 2020/10/18 10:35
Even the most difficult situations can be learning situations.

1953 Packard Clipper
1957 Chevrolet BelAir
2004 Chevrolet Corvette
 Top  Print 

Re: Speedo Cable 43 Clipper
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
First basic observation to make is whether or not the cable is rotating at the speedometer head when the car us in motion.

Posted on: 2020/10/18 11:13
 Top  Print 

Re: Speedo Cable 43 Clipper
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
And second thing is when you remove the cable to check for rotation carefully disconnect the nut from the speedo and pull the cable housing assy back just far enough so you can first see if the square end of the cable is extending so it will fully insert in the speedo rotating collar. Perhaps the rotating cable was a bit short or on some cable assys, was inserted the wrong way and managed to drop down in the housing far enough to fall out of mesh with the square hole in the collar.

If the cable extends then check the speedo rotating collar that has the square hole in it to make sure it is turning freely. If the old lube in the speedo has dried the collar could have seized to the bushing. Having that happen frequently damages the cable and you would have no rotation. Replacing a damaged cable without working on the speedo would result in quickly having the same problem again.

If the cable is not rotating and assuming the cable has not broken, you will then need to compare the two pinion assys that go in the housing at the transmission end to make sure it is able to mesh with other pieces. There were different length and diameter pinion assys over the years and for the various transmissions and rear end ratios so perhaps there is a mismatch. A wrong pinion would let the pinion fall out of mesh with the worm around the trans output shaft or maybe the shaft is short and the cable was barely meshing with the pinion.

Posted on: 2020/10/18 12:00
Howard
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved