Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
122 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 121

Tom (Packin31), more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1956 Carribean Carburetor Heat Shield For Driver Side Needed
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Scott Bluestein
See User information
Does anyone have a carburetor heat shield for the driver side of a 1956 Caribbean? My car has one for the passenger side. I have attached a photo of my engine with the heat shield circled for the passenger side and the area with the missing heat shield on the driver side.

Attach file:

jpeg  (234.38 KB)
154412_5f9f14731e7c6.jpeg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2020/11/1 15:02
 Top  Print 

Re: 1956 Carribean Carburetor Heat Shield For Driver Side Needed
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The only heat shields that are correct for your 1956 Caribbean are (1) a small rectangular shield in front of the automatic choke of the front carburetor to prevent the fan blast from influencing the choke, and (2) a shield between the intake manifold and the lifter valley cover at the front to prevent the fan blast from overcooling the underside of the intake manifold. This latter one is often missing but there are several images of it on this site. Let us know if you need pictures of it.

There were no shields where pictured and suggested in your photo.

Posted on: 2020/11/1 15:12
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The two correct shields are shown in this threadhttp://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=208480#forumpost208480

The lower and larger one for the lifter valley and manifold space is shown in the photo in post 28 and the small square one on the front carb for the choke housing is in post 33 on the next page of the thread.

Posted on: 2020/11/1 15:26
Howard
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Scott Bluestein
See User information
I appreciate the information. Any idea on where to obtain the correct heat shields?

Posted on: 2020/11/1 15:37
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Worst come to worst, neither is very challenging to make from scratch if someone loans you a pair. My own '56 Caribbean was missing both and friend Randy Berger knocked out a very nice set of repros in just a day or so. Most challenging part is probably attaching the little leather vibration bumpers on the lower shield - attached with metal staples.

Posted on: 2020/11/1 16:35
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
They are Caribbean only items but I seem to recall many years ago one of the club regions was considering a repro since as O_D mentioned, often one or the other goes missing. Agree with him that they should not be too hard to make. Perhaps someone would know if the repro ever happened and which region. If no one can help with an idea on NOS or repros then finding them may be difficult since Caribbeans are so rare the parts cars are even restored so not very common.

I can't say from the view in the photo you posted but at a quick glance you might have the upper square one mounted incorrectly on the right side of your carbs. There is nothing terribly special about either one of them although the upper would be the harder one to make because the mounting point is a tab stamped out of the center of the metal and bent outward. The stamping might prove difficult to do in a home shop but welding or brazing on a tab could work. The lower one is just flat sheetmetal with a couple of bends and holes at the top. The mounting tabs could be bent out from easy to access and work metal on the bottom edge. With a drawing showing the dimensions and a couple of photos, if you could not make it yourself a sheetmetal shop probably could make a fair repro.

Posted on: 2020/11/1 16:40
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
This should help.

Attach file:

jpg  (104.12 KB)
177_5fa01f0b88472.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (105.15 KB)
177_5fa01f1fbc8e6.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (106.10 KB)
177_5fa01f29c6150.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2020/11/2 9:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
I was thinking that maybe one of the vendors at the Packard National meet were selling these? Maybe Patrician Industries or Dwight Heinmuller?

Posted on: 2020/11/2 11:59
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
If no one has re-popped them yet I have the supplier chain and tooling requirements, I'd just need a good sample.

Posted on: 2020/11/2 15:44
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved