Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
129 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 129

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Fuel sending unit test
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Chris, As John said, Delco and Autolite had nothing whatsoever to do with the gauges.

Posted on: 2020/11/25 17:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Okay, so, was there any pairing or affiliation with Autolite and Stewart Warner?? For instance, if my car was equipped with AC Delco ignition components, would it likely have an AC Delco fuel sending unit, and conversely, if the car is equipped with Autolite, would it have a Stewart Warner sending unit, or is it just a willy-nilly, 'ya get it the way it comes off the assembly line' with no particular order??
I was supplied an AC Delco sending unit from KM Lifestyles and it is not compatible with my gauge, so there would have HAD to be SOME convention and compatibility applied when it came to equipping the cars originally, right?? Chris.

Posted on: 2020/11/25 18:15
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
No, none whatsoever as far as I know. I can't speak for which type of gauges you have as it never occurred to me that there might be different types but I do know that the car's electrical system has nothing to do with it. The radios, for example, were made by Delco regardless of the under-hood electricals or gauges but maybe a perusal of the Parts List or Parts Book might shed some light on your current conundrum.

Posted on: 2020/11/25 18:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Shop Manual is always a good place to start. According to the 1939 Packard Shop Manual, all models used S-W gauges and gas tank sending units. The sender for the Six is listed as Packard P/N 326683, S-W P/N 96466.

Posted on: 2020/11/25 18:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
THANK YOU Dave!!! That is what I am looking for... Now I can go back to KM Lifestyles and show them something definitive. As it is, in going through this with 'Mike' we already unearthed a mistake on their website re the year-listing for sending units in my year-range, so it's not like they're saying they couldn't have made a mistake, but rather, their info shows my car' as having an AC Delco sending unit as 'standard' issue. I was trying to find something to take to them to show this is not correct. Hopefully, I can get a correct sender and they can update their records. Thanks for taking the time to look that up and post, Dave; much apprec. Chris.

Posted on: 2020/11/25 20:12
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved