Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
101 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 100

‘29 633 Mel, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Erratic Fuel Gauge
Home away from home
Home away from home

Donald Booth
See User information
The fuel gauge on my 50 Deluxe is pretty erratic, ranging from the needle bouncing back and forth to just sitting on E and not moving at all. Since I recently had the sender replaced, I believe the problem must be with the original factory fuel gauge. I'm considering installing an auxiliary gauge, rather than tempting fate by trying to work behind the dash on the original gauge. I'm wondering if a 12 volt gauge will work with a 6 volt sender. I've looked online and found opinions that say it will work because the sender works on the changing resistance in the sender and that the voltage doesn't matter. What do you think? Also, is the resistance range of the factory sender 0-90 ohms? Thanks

Posted on: 2020/11/29 18:39
test
 Top  Print 

Re: Erratic Fuel Gauge
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
That sounds a lot like a loose connection.

Posted on: 2020/11/29 18:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Donald Booth
See User information
JD, thanks for your response. The last time I fiddled back behind the dash was during the installation of an original radio I harvested from a junker. I got the radio installed, but created a short in the process that took a great deal of additional fiddling to sort out. After seeing/experiencing all of the dried out insulation back there - exposing a fair amount of bare wire - I avoid getting my hands back there if at all possible. Hence my willingness to install a non-original auxiliary gauge. That being said, I'll muster my courage and take a peek. What type of connection am I looking for at the back of the fuel gauge - a wire connector on a stud with a nut or something else? BTW, I take it you're from KC. Same here.

Posted on: 2020/11/29 20:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Yes, it's a nut and stud arrangement. You mentioned 'resistance' in connection with the sender. Are you are aware that the 22nd and 23rd Series Packards didn't use a standard resistance based sender/gauge? They use a bi-metal heater based on/off system. Hopefully you installed a compatible sender.

I live north of the river.

Attach file:

jpg  (104.14 KB)
188_5fc4daaa4f349.jpg 1281X619 px

Posted on: 2020/11/30 6:39
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved