Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
139 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 139

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Hydraulic valve lifters
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Josef Lichtenberg
See User information
Dear all. Asking for my 356 SU8 engine series 21.
I am thinking about replacing the hydraulic lifters as a preventive measure. Can anyone recommend replacing the lifters without replacing the tappets? Or is only the pairwise exchange advisable? And what reliable source of supply for the lifters there? It looks like there are a lot of sources for series 22 lifters. I emphasize reliable source, because in recent months have received a lot of bad replicated Packard parts. Many thanks in advance for the answer, many greetings
best regards Josef

Posted on: 2020/12/22 12:28
Packard Super Clipper 1947
 Top  Print 

Re: Hydraulic valve lifters
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Not necessary to replace the tappets unless they have pitting on the camshaft face.

Are your existing lifters making noise? If they are not making noise there is no need for a preventative measure. In my experience they only fail if they force open a stuck valve or if run for long periods with poor and dirty oil.

Here is a video I did on checking lifters that might be helpful:https://youtu.be/aWYycF-DpAA

Posted on: 2020/12/22 21:21
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Josef Lichtenberg
See User information
Hello Ross, thank you for your reply. I like this video very much. I understand now much better.

Please let me ask you another question. My new fresh valve springs last only less than 100 mls. (photo) some broke. I will now use the old ones. Made by Packard. I guess they are much better quality.

But somthing makes me thinking in another direction too. In the manual i have read about some washers in cup shape ( attachement) used in series 22. They should work better with the springs. The manual propose to modify the series 21 engine with the 22 washers. Could the old washer shape, I am still using, be the reason for the early fail of my today springs?
please let me know what you are thinking about. Thank you very much, best regards Josef

Attach file:

jpg  (251.30 KB)
161075_5fe34f4be4f4e.jpg 1920X1268 px

jpg  (245.32 KB)
161075_5fe34f5c092f3.jpg 1920X1649 px

Posted on: 2020/12/23 9:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I think the springs were simply defective. The cup type washers center the springs a little better, but the flat type should not cause a failure.

Posted on: 2020/12/23 21:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Why is there - what appears to be - a starred washer on the valve with the broken spring? I don't see this on the other valves.

Posted on: 2020/12/24 12:34
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Good catch JW.

Posted on: 2020/12/24 14:20
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Breaking a spring is not "that" easy. Either over revving or temporary stiction. Opens the question; Masking some other problem?
If issue is confined to one cylinder then something's going on with that one. Usually, bad parts are not confined to one. Broken spring could be analyzed for failure mode. But defer to Ross, etc. Maybe known bad parts abound.
Seems odd to change springs and not other parts? Raises possibility same cylinder involved previous, and the extraneous washer new spring fix.
My guess, not going to get out with just exchanging lifters. Could be underlying lube, wear, etc. issue.
Usually more to these stories, and without a pull apart, can't say from afar.

Posted on: 2020/12/26 10:15
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The seemingly errant washer is the anti-rotation washer mentioned in the service counselor in post 3. You can see it because the spring has broken; normally they are tucked up in a recess at the top of the spring.

Posted on: 2020/12/27 7:21
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Josef Lichtenberg
See User information
yes you can see the washer because the spring is broken. normaly the flat washer is hidden in the cast iron. all 16 springs are new. but some are broken now. because of that not all 8 cylinder are working. we start now disassembling. could anybody recomend a source for hydraulic lifters in good quality? i want to change them preventive.

Posted on: 2020/12/31 10:34
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Josef,
A year or so ago I purchased some lifters from Max Merritt.
They were rather expensive as I recall. Good Luck!
Mark

Posted on: 2020/12/31 13:20
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved