Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 107

39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Fantastic Forties video
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Ran across this excellent video of New York in the early forties. Actually difficult to count all of the Packards including MANY Packard taxis.https://youtu.be/yHe_d2hUVnA

Enjoy, and Merry Christmas

Posted on: 2020/12/24 20:47
 Top  Print 

Re: Fantastic Forties video
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I didn't see any crosswalks on that street and it seems like maybe they were not needed anyway since pedestrians appeared to cross anywhere they pleased. It's a wonder some didn't get hit the way they would make it to the middle of the street and then stand waiting for cars to pass inches away from them in front and back while others just kept going assuming an approaching car would stop.

Posted on: 2020/12/25 0:10
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Cool footage, Ross - thanks for posting. Packards galore, and a host of other oldies, some of which I recognized, many I did not. And like you say, Howard, 'the crosswalk' would seem to have yet to be invented!! Merry Christmas to all. Chris.

Posted on: 2020/12/25 2:31
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
I guesttimate the effort to digitalize this movie about as high as two workweeks.

Posted on: 2020/12/25 5:33
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
What a great movie of daily life in NYC during the 1940's! How did that '34 Eight convertible victoria parked in front of the brownstones grab you?! Look for it briefly at near the end of the video at 5:21.

Its interesting to see all those '41 Model 1900 Style T1462 New York-type taxis plying the avenues. This is the only place to see them since none survive. The dominance of the DeSoto Skyview and those bizarrely-styled Checker Model A landaulet taxis shows what Packard was getting itself into entering that business.

Among the cars in general was a later '30's Senior sedan headed away from the camera, plus multiple Junior series Packards everywhere throughout. At around four minutes when traffic is stopped for cross traffic, it looks like what might be a '36-'37 120 convertible sedan flashes across. At corner on the left is a rare '39-'40 Graham 'sharknose' combination coupe. There are a number of convertible parked along the sides at various places.

Of the pedestrians crossing willy-nilly and standing on the white line, I'd say they were a good deal more brave and trusting than I would have been or would now!

Steve

Posted on: 2020/12/25 10:29
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Steve, there's a car in the video that piqued my interest and I have no idea what it is. It first appears just after the 2:00 mark, again just after 3:00 and again around 4:00. Odd looking grille, strange headlights... any idea what it is?? Chris.

Posted on: 2020/12/26 1:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Steve mentioned them as Checker Model A taxis and they are indeed strange looking.

Posted on: 2020/12/26 1:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Ah, I see Brian - thanks. I didn't make the connection, not having a clue what they were! Not something one sees around nowadays, that's for sure. Chris.

Posted on: 2020/12/26 2:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
The Checkers had a look all their own.....

Posted on: 2020/12/26 9:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rscott77x
See User information
For a car guy like me watching this video was akin to watching an aquarium. It was very mesmerizing.

Posted on: 2021/1/5 9:21
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved