Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
164 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 164

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 22 »

Website
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I'm sure some of you noticed the website was offline here and there for the last few days.

My web host automatically suspended the server as they got a notification from another provider that my server's IP was launching a Brute Force attack against some of the servers on their farm.

Both me and my provider have monitored and scoured the website looking for anything malicious and nothing has been found. Also they have been monitoring the outbound traffic from the website and nothing suspicious has been detected. So more than likely this was a spoofed attack. Basically a server somewhere imitating the website's IP to hide behind.

Long story short the website is back up and because of the nature of the data and what we use the website for there is no danger to any of the users here, as we are not storing any sensitive personal info and even your passwords are stored as hashes in the vent the website was actually compromised.

But in light of all that, I have decided to migrate the website to a new server stack. The existing server OS is getting ancient by today's standards and the website needs to be put behind an OS layer that is more hardened against future threats. So over the next week, I will be doing that migration. So if you see the website down or see a notice that it is down, it is because of that migration. I'll give you more info through the process. But everything we have here (Articles, Pictures, Forums, Userinfo) will migrate. So you shouldn't have to do anything from a user perspective.

Thanks everyone!

Posted on: 2021/1/5 15:52
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Re: Website
Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Thanks! Glad to hear all is well.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2021/1/5 16:19
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
In BigKev we trust.

Posted on: 2021/1/5 18:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
Thanks! Appreciate all you do BigKev.

Posted on: 2021/1/5 20:15
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Thanks for your time, talent and efforts Big Kev. Sounds like a good time to hit the 'DONATE' button - I just did! Chris.

Posted on: 2021/1/6 3:16
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dads 56
See User information
thanks for this site. I have donated also

Posted on: 2021/1/6 15:41
1956 Packard Executive 2 door hard top (5677A)
1956 Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan (5622)(parts car)
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Thank you all for the continued support, it's greatly appreciated.

Just an update, I'm still working on setting up the other server. Current moving files over. There are roughly 280,000 files that make up all the various components and content of the website. So that takes a long time to sync from one server to another. About 18 hours of straight upload. It's quick to move a single 40gb file, but takes forever to move 280,000 files that equal 40gb. Once all the files are moved then I can start the reconfiguration that's needed to make it work on that new server OS. On top of that, I hope to be able to accomplish an update to the core software that runs the website as well. I'll let you know more as the events unfold.

Thanks again!

-Kev

Posted on: 2021/1/7 9:33
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I'm still working on getting things configured for the move, so rather than have the website shuttered all weekend, I'll leave this open until I get closer to the switch over. This is one of the trying to eat an elephant in one bite moments.

So, still on the old server, but making progress.....

Posted on: 2021/1/8 22:42
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
If you are reading this, you made it to the new website!

Several off the website features are still offline, but I wanted to get the forum back up ASAP.

You'll see the features that are working on the Main Menu to the left. As I get the other one working, they will appear on the menu.

Let me know if you see any major issues.

-Kev

Posted on: 2021/1/13 20:04
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
test

Attach file:

jpg  1_6000a613d9e08.jpg (133.31 KB)
1_6000a613d9e08.jpg 1920X933 px

Posted on: 2021/1/14 15:14
-BigKev

Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 ... 22 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved