Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
114 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 112

29tons, John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 2126 starting issues.....still....
Home away from home
Home away from home

custo eight
See User information
Ok....finally got back to it and have read all of the responses. Thanks for taking the time to dive in.
I rigged two wire leads to each terminal on the carb switch just so I had a decent place to clip my ohm meter securely. initially, it read 154 ohms (not sure it is accurate meter but that is what registered) I then manually pulled the linkage as if the accelerator was pressed to firewall. gradually the ohms spooled down to 0.0 ohms. With meter still connected, I went to accel pedal and pressed to firewall then watched the meter come down to 39-41 ohms fully depressed (the accelerator, not me....yet...) then disconnected the ohmmeter to look at continuity on ignition with key on. When I hooked the ohmmeter back up to carb switch, it read 111 ohms. Jockeyed the linkage a few times but still 111. From the accel pedal, never made full contact the best I can tell. My switch plunger/ball assembly is not angled as the above pic but rests horizontally. I may hook up battery and see if I can get 6 volts across the terminals or across the inner terminal and ground. Will keep you updated.

Posted on: 2021/2/7 18:09
Where principles are involved, be deaf to expediency. (Matthew Fontaine Maury 18th century oceanographer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

custo eight
See User information
OOOOKKKKKKK
Battery connected, ignition switch to "on". Volt meter clipped to side of carb switch nearest drivers side and other to ground (at battery post). 6Volts (5.9) without any accelerator linkage pressed. volt. Moved the voltmeter lead to the "in" side of the carb switch furthest from drivers side. Nada. 0.00 volts.
So, can I infer that the switch leads from ignition to carb switch have been reversed all this time. I thought the ignition wires might have been backwards at the dash but this seems to say ignition is providing power to one wire on the carb switch...just the wrong side. Any thoughts? Any harm in reversing them to try.
Cheers

Posted on: 2021/2/7 18:26
Where principles are involved, be deaf to expediency. (Matthew Fontaine Maury 18th century oceanographer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

custo eight
See User information
I checked continuity from the far side of carb switch to starter solenoid. Bingo, that one was connecting to the solenoid. I reversed them and then checked continuity between both carb switch posts again. O.o ohms when the linkage was advanced. Initially, the overdrive relay had been wired "upside down" but did straighten that out using the picture Howard had posted.
Still no ignition. Other wiring seems to check out ok...I think:(

Posted on: 2021/2/7 20:10
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved