Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Recent Comments
Who is Online
41 user(s) are online (24 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 39

acolds, George40, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal

Bearing Strip
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Lgace
See User information
I'm restoring my front grille, shutter assembly. With that, I acquired some of the drawing of several parts. I'm looking for any information for the material used for the bearing strip that holds the shutter blades. The part number #326557. The material on the drawing states "super lexide", 1/8" x 5/16" strips.

One of several bearing assemblies you will find in the parts book is #326567 (lower). For my car, there are two long strips on each side of the bottom and a long and a short on each side on the top. I have included a CAD drawing of the lower part. The brown material inside the other retainer is what I'm looking for.

Attach file:

jpg  bearingstrip.jpg (22.62 KB)
148412_601cb35fb4b69.jpg 504X290 px

Posted on: 2/4 20:57
 Top  Print 

Re: Bearing Strip
Home away from home
Home away from home

r1lark
See User information
Interesting, I had to look Lexide up, never heard about it. Appears to be a man-made replacement for leather commonly used in book binding. Here are two links that I looked at:
Lexide 1

Lexide ABB

Couldn't find anything on "Super" lexide however.

Posted on: 2/5 5:40
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
I would strongly encourage the use of a non moisture absorptive material, having taken apart enough of these grilles to know. Maybe a black plastic/teflon material?

Posted on: 2/5 8:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Teflon is actually pretty weak as a bearing surface. High density polyethylene would likely work and has a pretty low coefficient of friction

Posted on: 2/5 8:30
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Search
Recent Photos
1950 Club Sedan (03/01/2021)
1950 Club Sedan
1952 Packard Mayfair (12/13/2020)
1952 Packard Mayfair
1955 Caribbean - 5588 MDF 92 (11/26/2020)
1955 Caribbean - 5588 MDF 92
Photo of the Day
pk1907_1
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2021, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved