Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 107

DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1941 Turn signal bulb
Home away from home
Home away from home

CartRich
See User information
I noticed that my left rear turn signal on my 1941 180 was not flashing but my right one was. I took that housing apart and removed the bulb figuring I would just take the other one out and swap them to make sure that it was just the bulb. However, during the removal, the lens dropped on the floor and broke (fortunately it was a clean split on a recessed feature and it should be an undetectable fix). So, not wanting to press my luck on the other lens, I put a multi meter to the bulb and it would appear to be dead. I want to replace it with the same type of bulb so both sides match. It looks to be a 6 volt LED however in my searches I can not find a duplicate. Does anyone have any idea if or where I might get one as shown in the pictures? Even though I don't drive the car in the dark, the LEDs in the tail lights and turn signals throw off a really bright light considering it is a 6 volt system and a bright turn signal is a blessing when driving on Florida streets. If this search doesn't pan out and yield an exact duplicate, does anyone use a similar bulb that I can swap out?

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_2761.JPG (11.67 KB)
199039_60201174c6825.jpg 320X240 px

jpg  IMG_2762.JPG (12.78 KB)
199039_6020117ec7244.jpg 320X240 px

jpg  IMG_2763.JPG (13.32 KB)
199039_6020118782297.jpg 320X240 px

Posted on: 2021/2/7 11:17
 Top  Print 

Re: 1941 Turn signal bulb
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If someone does not recognize those bulbs and offer a suggestion, this site might have something workable but maybe not with the exact lens shape of the existing bulbs.https://www.superbrightleds.com/search/ba9s-ba7s/6+volt+turn+signal/ They also have bulbs with different socket requirements in other categories besides those a search for turn signals came up with.

I am curious if your flasher is the stock unit or if the bulbs you show have extra resistance already built in or if resistance was externally added on your car. Usually LED bulbs do not draw enough current to trigger the old style thermal flashers to have them start working. Most often some external resistors need to be added at the socket or a modern electronic flasher is required. A modern electronic unit can be a problem with positive ground cars.

Also curious if that is a parking light bulb or if your car has been modified. Usually rear turn signal bulbs were separate on that era Packards thru the 22nd series and have a single contact for a one filament bulb only for the turn signals. The dual contact type bulbs were usually reserved for brake and tail lights.

Posted on: 2021/2/7 12:28
Howard
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I would check the socket for voltage. Some solid state items, like those led bulbs may not show continuity when off as a filament bulb would. You can always swap it on the other side and see if it is indeed dead.

Posted on: 2021/2/7 12:31
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
If you have to replace, you buy a pair, as there is no guarantee whatever you replace it with is going to match the other side in light output, color, or spread pattern.

Posted on: 2021/2/7 12:33
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
When you find the LED bulb you are looking for make sure you buy them in RED for the taillights.

LED bulbs should be the same color as the lens covering them.

Taillights are RED, so bulb should be red. Fender lights are clear, so bulb should be clear.

Posted on: 2021/2/7 14:20
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
As stated, be sure you swap out your flasher with one designed for LED bulbs or it won't flash. Also as stated, be sure to use red bulbs for taillights.

Those you picked, however, are not the best as they are too directional and will not make use of the housing's reflector. Look for one that includes side-firing LEDs and looks more like a conventional bulb in shape.

Also be aware that the metal base on many LEDs is slightly shorter, or rather, the base of the bulb is wider where it meets the base so you may have to use trial and error to find some that will work. Case in point is my 1965 Cadillac where the name-brand LEDs I used bottom out on the bulb portion before I can press them in far enough to lock in place.

Posted on: 2021/2/7 18:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CartRich
See User information
Here is the tail light set up. There are two bulbs.One tail light and brake light and one signal. As best as I can tell, the lower round lens may just be a reflector. I keep the car about 10 miles from my house, so I'll have to go back up and look at the socket since the bulb I am looking to replace has two poles (not sure if that is the correct term) and everything I'm seeing would appear to have only one. The turn signal lever inside the car mounted to the steering column would appear to be after market. The signal light on the other side lights and flashes fine so I don't think it is a flasher issue. I'm trying to avoid swapping bulbs because of what my butter fingers did to the left lens.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_E2352abc.jpg (44.67 KB)
199039_602085ad4066d.jpg 790X685 px

jpg  IMG_2362 - Version 2.jpg (58.39 KB)
199039_602086a751174.jpg 723X712 px

Posted on: 2021/2/7 19:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
They are filaments.

Vintage Car LED has 7" headlights that have a period style. Some bulbs are polarity-directional so be sure to check or ask if they will work with positive ground.

There are many other companies such as this one selling the tallights and others in LED so just do a Google search. Again, for taillights, be sure to get red. Otherwise they will be so bright as to look pink through the Packard lens.

Attach file:

jpeg  D22448C4-8161-429E-9411-29C769F950B9.jpeg (78.34 KB)
60923_6020aa639f048.jpeg 749X1471 px

Posted on: 2021/2/7 21:55
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CartRich
See User information
Thanks guys. Half of my search problems stem from not knowing the correct terminology to use and what to be watching out for. I had originally thought I would just be able to saunter into NAPA with my old bulb in hand and say "I want another of these". Luckily they were closed when I took this bulb out so I saved a wasted trip. Thanks for the links, they have pointed me in the correct direction and after looking at pages and pages of bulbs, I would have to guess I won't be getting an exact match to the old bulb and will have to replace both. Here's hoping I don't drop the other lens...

Posted on: 2021/2/8 8:34
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning...When working on light lenses...I usually put an old canvas paint cloth on the ground...it really helps when 73 year old hands drop things that they were not told to drop! Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2021/2/8 11:10
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved