Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 156

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Compensator Motor lubrication
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob E.
See User information
Hi Gang,
I'm in the process of rebuilding and cleaning up the T-L system in my '55. This includes cleaning up and regreasing the compensator & motor. I took the motor off and apart and was wondering about whether to use oil or grease for the oiling wick at the base of the motor. With a wick, I would normally assume an oil, but it looks like there was grease in there so asking here. The lube charts in the manual don't address this point. I'm using the StaLube SL 3303 for the Compensator gearbox and can use that for the motor shaft wick, too. But worried it may be a tad too thick to migrate down the wick to the armature shaft in the bushing.

thanks,
Bob

Attach file:

jpg  20210203_200608.jpg (137.61 KB)
120663_6020be49a79ad.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2021/2/7 23:31
Bob
1955 Packard Patrician
Sapphire Blue
 Top  Print 

Re: Compensator Motor lubrication
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You are correct -- that end is not covered in the manual but since the motor is actually a slightly modified generator case and armature I believe the same generator lube specs would apply.

Posted on: 2021/2/7 23:52
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob E.
See User information
thank you for the reply. Since the plate that covers the oil wick would be vertical when installed, making oil messy with no real reservoir in that orientation, I thought grease would make sense.

But since these motors don't spin as often as a generator, I was thinking they wouldn't get warm enough to melt grease so oil would make sense.

The generator lube chart in the SM calls for drops of 20W oil (every 1,000 miles! Who does that?) but it has oil cups to drop the oil down...

The wick on this T-L motor touches the armature shaft (vs oiling an oil-lite bushing) so I was thinking grease..

:)

Maybe it really doesnt matter as long as there is oil or light grease there vs nothing at all.

The stuff I pulled out felt like grease vs congealed oil but never can be sure..

Posted on: 2021/2/10 22:49
Bob
1955 Packard Patrician
Sapphire Blue
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob E.
See User information
Updating in case others are rebuilding their compensator motor. Following Howard's input that this motor was a reconfigured generator, that helped me be more precise in my Googling. I found this link which really helped me. The backplate isn't exactly like our motors, but the rest looks the same. I didn't replace the bushing so didnt have to do any drilling, etc. I bought a new wick (John Deere Wick R11201, $1.61) from this sitehttps://www.shopgreendealer.com/John-Deere-Wick-R11201.html and it was the perfect thickness.

Hope this helps someone else, someday
-Bob

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/273106-generator-rear-bushing-question/

Posted on: 2021/3/3 21:54
Bob
1955 Packard Patrician
Sapphire Blue
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dads 56
See User information
Nice find!
I will thank you for that!

Posted on: 2021/3/4 0:22
1956 Packard Executive 2 door hard top (5677A)
1956 Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan (5622)(parts car)
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved