Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
46 user(s) are online (31 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 45

Rich49, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Just bought a 53 Clipper and entire collection
Just popping in
Just popping in

MrN
See User information
Just bought my wife's late step dads 53 Clipper, and his entire collection of Packard parts, memorabilia, collectibles, literature, etc.

Car was a 2 owner car before I bought it. I have the original sales paperwork with purchaser info, and a letter between my late father in law and the original owners son, who sold the car after his fathers death.
Car has 17k miles on it, and looks to be in near mint shape inside and out. It was always garage kept. Black 4 door deluxe. We found an appraisal from 2004 stating a value of $18.5k.

The car's last registration sticker was 2008, so it's likely been sitting since then, and I have no clue if it was ever periodically started.

With that said, where should I start first? I plan to drain all fluids and go from there. I'm thinking a carb rebuild is likely in order. Anything else I should look at in short manner?

Anyone here near the Norfolk, VA area?

Posted on: 2021/2/10 9:09
 Top  Print   

Re: Just bought a 53 Clipper and entire collection
Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
If it has the Ultramatic transmission, be careful who you have work on that part. Not many shops are familiar with it.

Posted on: 2021/2/10 9:43
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

MrN
See User information
I'm told it should run and drive. The trans is leaking but works otherwise.

Posted on: 2021/2/10 10:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Sorry if this is obvious, but it's 6 volt, positive ground

Posted on: 2021/2/10 10:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
From my limited experience, I would think that a fuel pump rebuild is probable in addition to rebuilding the carb. Not knowing the condition of the rubber in the pump, nor how old it is, it may deteriorate when you start using new gas.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2021/2/10 11:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good afternoon Kevin...You might want to put some Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders and let it soak for a day or two and then turn it over without the key on to lube the cylinder walls..then a compression check to make sure you don't have and sticking valves...then fresh gas and fire her up...sometimes fresh gas from a little portable tank is a good idea if you don't know the condition of the tank. Disconnect the fuel pump until you know the condition of the tank. The carb and fuel pump might be fine until old gas and rust are sucked into them. Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2021/2/10 14:03
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
MrN wrote:.....With that said, where should I start first?

Anyone here near the Norfolk, VA area?
G'day MrN,
I you to PackardInfo and a good start would be to include your '53 Clipper in the Packard Owner's Registry

I don't know how far Parkton Maryland is from you, but Ross Miller at Speedwell Garage is THE MAN for Packards of your era. You can contact Ross by sending him a Personal Message(PM) by clicking on the Send Message button in the link.

Posted on: 2021/2/10 16:04
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

longjohn
See User information
This might seem obvious but read the owners manual. 53 Packards had a unique starting procedure. If you don't have an owners manual, you can find a digital copy in the "literature" part of this website.

Posted on: 2021/2/10 18:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Also be sure to replace all rubber brake lines and rebuild all cylinders including the master. Rubber will deteriorate when sitting and brakes are not something with which you would want to take a chance.

Posted on: 2021/2/10 18:54
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved