Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
107 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 106

‘29 633 Mel, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: 1947 Packard clipper 2 door
Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
I recall the same

Posted on: 2021/3/22 9:22
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
Also possible to create a 327 in a 288 block by a crank and piston-rod swap. It makes a very snappy standard eight.

Posted on: 2021/3/22 9:30

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
My car has a 288 head on the correct MXXXXX 327 block.

But agreed, generally, always go by the engine number, not what it says on the head. Heads can get warped/over-milled and as such people used what was around for replacements when needed.

Posted on: 2021/3/22 10:10
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
I need to get that number cleaned up and check it out. I was also going to check stroke the old-fashioned way, by pulling the head and tossing a tape measure down a hole. They say it's stuck and I plan to build it, so the head is coming off regardless.

Thing shows up and we start a new thread on its progress.

Posted on: 2021/3/22 21:14
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Jim in Boone wrote:
Maybe I'm remembering something incorrectly, but thought I remembered reading that the 288 head on a 327 block gave more compression? Maybe I have that backwards or totally wrong, but perhaps check engine number on your 288/327 before considering it a 288.

You are correct and there are Packard sanctioned head interchanges to raise compression ratios in various engine combinations.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL24NO7.pdf The article first appeared during the 22-23 series but is applicable for all 288/327 block based engines thru 54 except for the 359 engine. The 359 aluminum head is unique to the 54 engine. If it fails, unfortunately not all of the earlier cast iron heads can be swapped in. Only one or two will work without causing pinging issues that cannot be adjusted out.

In addition to the combinations listed in that article Packard also went to the trouble of making another head to raise compression in the 288 engine. It is listed in a later article.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL25NO4.pdf

As was mentioned in another post, you cannot determine engine CID by a number that is cast on the head because the heads were often swapped -- both by an owners desire for more power or because an original head failed and a different one was readily available.

Unfortunately unless you happen upon a guaranteed NOS head still in factory wrappings there is no easy way tell the different heads by sight -- and that is assuming the head was never machined. IIRC, some years back Ross published some depth dimensions of the heads as determined by a micrometer. To the best of my knowledge part numbers were never hard stamped on the head and ID was by packaging or label or probably by a tag wired or bolted on via one of the holes in the head

Posted on: 2021/3/22 22:12
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Cars are loaded on the trailer. Today is Travel Day. Tomorrow is Delivery Day.

Got too much to do at work today to spend much time thinking about it. Sunday, on the other hand . . . .

:D

Posted on: 2021/3/26 5:09
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Cars here. Cleaned, such as that is. In the house, under roof and behind walls. The maroon one is definitely a good project. The other one - it's really black, at least originally - has most of the passenger side floor along to rocker rusted out from the A to the B pillar. Driver's side ain't all that much better. It's possibly a cut-up for parts and junk the rest, but something in that hurts in the coal-black inside thing I call a soul. We'll have to wait-n-see.

Red one:
ID: 2185-5324
Body #: 2185-5183
Engine #: F25026 (kinda funky)

I'll post some pictures later. And start a new thread, cuz it ain't for sale no more.

Posted on: 2021/3/27 16:15
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Congratulations and looking forward to see your progress!

Posted on: 2021/3/27 18:22
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Quote:

PackardDon wrote:
Congratulations and looking forward to see your progress!

THank you very much!!! I'm just looking forward to progress.

Some was made today. Nothing spectacular . . . .

Posted on: 2021/3/27 20:18
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved