Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
100 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 100

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

WCFB Carburetor Venturi inserts?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Chris R
See User information
Hello all!

I'm currently in the process of rebuilding my WCFB and I found something that doesn't look right to me.

On the secondary side of the carb, the venturi's have some kind of reduction inserts installed. I've never seen these before so I don't know what to make of them. They don't appear to show up on the WCFB exploded diagram either.

Does anyone know what these are?

Thank you,

-Chris

Attach file:

jpg  20210301_101213.jpg (343.36 KB)
110032_603d34bd5a788.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2021/3/1 13:38
 Top  Print 

Re: WCFB Carburetor Venturi inserts?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Are you talking about the little tube? If so, that was added when cars with these carburetors experienced stalling when when going around a corner in one direction. There is something in one of the Service Counselors about it and Packard supplied a kit for fixing it.

Posted on: 2021/3/1 18:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
I think Don is referring to the "Left turn bog" but I see those odd venturi inserts in the secondaries - most intriguing!

Posted on: 2021/3/1 21:10
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Chris R
See User information
Quote:

PackardDon wrote:
Are you talking about the little tube? If so, that was added when cars with these carburetors experienced stalling when when going around a corner in one direction. There is something in one of the Service Counselors about it and Packard supplied a kit for fixing it.

Hi Don,

I'm actually referring to those round aluminum inserts in the top two venturis. Each venturi has one. They don't look factory.

Posted on: 2021/3/1 21:40
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Chris R
See User information
Quote:

64avanti wrote:
I think Don is referring to the "Left turn bog" but I see those odd venturi inserts in the secondaries - most intriguing!

Yes! Those guys! Weird huh? I have a another 327 from a parts car with a complete WCFB, and it doesn't have them.

I can't seem to find anything online pertaining to them. It's driving me nuts!

Posted on: 2021/3/1 21:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
The Carter catalog for WCFB carburetor No. 2084S used on 1953 Packards shows the Primary side main venturi inside diameter as 1-1/16" and the secondary side as 15/16", so the inserts that reduce the secondary side inside diameter are quite possibly factory.

Posted on: 2021/3/1 23:10
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

John Sauser
See User information
The inserts look home made to me, possibly someones attempt to reduce the size of the venturi of an non stock carb. to 15/16 as called for in the service manual.
john

Posted on: 2021/3/2 12:23
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Do we know if in fact the carburetor in question is a 2084-S?

Posted on: 2021/3/2 12:50
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Chris R
See User information
Okay, did some digging through the factory Packard service manual.

According to the manual, the 2631 chassis came with a Carter WCFB-985-S carburetor.

It goes on to list both the Primary (Front), and Secondary (Rear) venturi sizes as 1 1/16"

If you look at the original picture I posted, you can see the 1 1/16" symbols on both the front and rear.

I've attached a picture of the manual for reference.

Regarding the sleeves - My neighbor (old hotrodder) knew what they were. He said they're usually referred to as venturi restrictors, venturi sleeves, or venturi chokes.

He went on to say that they shim down the secondary throats, giving sharper vacuum signal and hence better throttle response.

I know the carb was rebuilt at least a few times (receipts in glovebox) over the years. I'm assuming one of the rebuilders added these at one point.

Anyway, I think I'll leave 'em in for now and see what happens.

Thank you all for the help.

-Chris

Attach file:

jpg  20210302_195822dfdf.jpg (240.76 KB)
110032_603f0ca06f00c.jpg 1200X1600 px

Posted on: 2021/3/2 23:10
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I believe that if you check thr parts list the 985-S was superceeded by the 2084-S as a running change.

Posted on: 2021/3/2 23:38
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved