Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
142 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 141

Packard Newbie, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

359 CID Blocks Prone to Cracking?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

54ocmac
See User information
Good day all,

Can anyone shed any history as to whether the 359’s were prone to cracking? I am ‘fortunate’ to have 2 blocks - one being the original block from my convertible that was not running when purchased and the other from a Patrician that had been overhauled and was running, but not very well. Had the original block cleaned and magnafluxed and it was cracked in multiple locations including between 4/5. Decided to dig into the Patrician engine to try to resolve its issues and found it was also crackedin one location (4/5) but repaired, but fails a pressure test. Soooo, before I invest in another block that has been cleaned and magnafluxed and reported to be sound/without cracks, is there a high probability that the block will be prone to cracking?

Thanks!

Posted on: 2021/3/6 18:43
 Top  Print 

Re: 359 CID Blocks Prone to Cracking?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm sure there are others who have had more experiences with the 359 than I have, but I've not heard that they have any more of a tendency to crack than the block from which they were derived (the 327 9-main block).

Posted on: 2021/3/6 19:16
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The 359 on a Pacific I did had a crack in #6 over toward the exhaust port but was not very deep and was able to be fixed with a sleeve.

Posted on: 2021/3/6 19:27
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I don’t think that they are any more prone to cracking than the 327 engines and I’ve had several that had to be sleeved due to cracks. As far as I know, my Patrician’s 359 is crack-free and when it was rebuilt decades ago I don’t recall having to sleeve it.

Posted on: 2021/3/7 3:06
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

54ocmac
See User information
Good morning!

Thanks for the responses, however, in my mind now I’m asking whether there is a history of cracking in 327s since at least 2 of you mention 359s not being any more prone than 327’s. I guess at the end of the day it is coming down to whether to take the risk and try to have the leak fixed on the Patrician block or purchase the block that has been magnafluxed and shows no cracks.

Is anyone willing to advise what I should be asking the seller about that block? He says it has been cleaned and magnafluxed, but has not checked it to see if it was ever bored. What else should I ask?

Regards,

54ocmac

Posted on: 2021/3/7 10:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
If its just a crack in the water jacket, then by all means have it fixed. That’s a minor thing and likely happened when the block froze and had no anti-freeze in it. The cracks in mine were between cylinders and valves so were a bit more complex but even so were fixable with sleeves and valve inserts. These were good engines and no more likely to crack than any other.

Posted on: 2021/3/7 11:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning...In my humble opinion, you are better off having your 259 block pressure checked to see what its condition is and then having it repaired as necessary. Then you know what you have and the rebuild will be successful. Don is right, sleeves and valve inserts and other crack repairs will make the 359 happy...Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2021/3/8 9:49
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning...In my humble opinion, you are better off having your 259 block pressure checked to see what its condition is and then having it repaired as necessary. Then you know what you have and the rebuild will be successful. Don is right, sleeves and valve inserts and other crack repairs will make the 359 happy...Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2021/3/8 9:50
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

54ocmac
See User information
Good morning and thank you for your follow-up message! Appreciate the clarification. When you don’t have the history behind a particular problem, for me, it becomes a question of whether the condition is a common one or is it because the previous owner(s) not take good care of the vehicle. Having searched for a thread regarding my original question and not finding anything, I was beginning to feel that I was just unlucky with the 2 blocks I have. And to invest in another at a cost nearly $3K is not a decision taken lightly - although I’m leaning in that direction. A cracked block that has already been repaired and is leaking again doesn’t give me the peace of mind that it won’t develop into a bigger problem down the road for me or whomever owns the car in the future! Cheers!

Posted on: 2021/3/8 9:57
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

54ocmac
See User information
Hello Ernie et al,

I have had a pressure check performed and there is a leak. I have tried to upload the video, but keep getting an error message and it won’t upload.

Also, my message earlier this morning was in response to Dave in response to a private message received.

I continue to cogitate over this dilemma!

Posted on: 2021/3/8 10:17
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved