Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
163 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 163

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Power Window Master Switch
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
The electric window master switch in my '56 Patrician has given up the ghost. I've repaired it a few times but it only lasts for a few uses and then fails again, usually at inopportune time. I know how to bridge the contacts and get the window back up but that means stopping and removing the switch from the door. I've been looking around for a replacement and the only ones I've come up with are in the USA and for '48 - '53 GM and Packard vehicles, and they ain't cheap. Does anyone know if these switches will fit my car? I don't want to outlay a lot of dough for something that mightn't fit. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Cheers, John

Posted on: 2021/3/10 23:29
 Top  Print 

Re: Power Window Master Switch
Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

John Payne wrote:
The electric window master switch in my '56 Patrician has given up the ghost. I've repaired it a few times but it only lasts for a few uses and then fails again, usually at inopportune time. I know how to bridge the contacts and get the window back up but that means stopping and removing the switch from the door. I've been looking around for a replacement and the only ones I've come up with are in the USA and for '48 - '53 GM and Packard vehicles, and they ain't cheap. Does anyone know if these switches will fit my car? I don't want to outlay a lot of dough for something that mightn't fit. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Cheers, John

The years mentioned for GM and Packard were often hydraulic and not electric. So those aren't going to work anyway.

Why don't you simply just get another 1955-56 Packard power window master switch? Why try to use something else that is just going to create far worse problems and headaches than you already have? Mix 'n match is a time-consuming, dangerous and costly route. It is always easier to simply use what the factory used.

These switches were made by Delta Electric Company (they made headlights and horns for American-made bicycles and smoke detector beepers for close to 100 years or so).

There are still tons of these 12V power window switch assemblies around and you'll find them laying on swap meet tables at nearly every Packard meet, Hershey and elsewhere. Used ones are usually affordable. Guys like Mike Dulinski and Gerry of Packards Southwest and several of the east coast vendors ought to have lots of them. Or run an ad either here or with the Packard Club (free for members). I'm sure that one of these sources can sell you a 1956 power window master switch for your driver's door that you can simply plug in and go.

Posted on: 2021/3/11 11:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
Thanks for the good advice Leeedy, I'll do more searching and check with your suggestions. I'm in Australia so such things aren't as common over here, not that I've seen anyway, but I'll continue to look around. By the way, I saw a photo of both sides of the '48 - '53 electric switch in one ad and the contacts looked identical to mine, but I couldn't tell if the sizing was the same. Cheers, John

Posted on: 2021/3/11 17:03
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The earlier switches definitely won’t work as they are for hydro-electric windows and have totally different functionally. You need one for your specific era so any 1955-1956 should work but confirm by checking the parts book.

Posted on: 2021/3/11 17:10
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
Check the parts book. If the switch for your car is the same as the 1955 400/ Caribbean, I am sure I have one around somewhere that I will send you . Not sure how the postal service will handle a small package to Australia’ but I am sure it has been done before.
If the part is different..Mike Delinski is a great source.
Stay safe and let me know.
RJR

Posted on: 2021/3/11 21:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
Thanks Fellas, I'll stop mentioning 48-53 switches from now on and concentrate on 55-56 master switches, which are listed in the parts book as the same. I've been hoping to find something in good condition, new or near new, so that I won't have to worry about the switch failing for many moons to come. If someone has a good one I'll happily pay the necessary to buy it and get it shipped. I'll make my details available to whoever this may be and organise payment to suit. Cheers, John

Posted on: 2021/3/12 0:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
G'day Fellas, I spent a lot of hours yesterday swanning around the internet looking for a '55-'56 master switch but came up empty. I've bought from Mike Dulinski in the past and will contact him shortly, but thought I might check with Packard Info members once more before doing so. It seems most likely that I'm going to have to settle for a used switch and maybe make one good one out of two. I actually only need the button assembly as my bezel and mounting spring clips are in good shape. Cheers, John

Posted on: 2021/3/13 16:29
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I sold my last NOS master switch a couple of years ago to a man in Switzerland, at that time based on what I was offered for it I was led to believe they were nearly NLA. I had a couple of used switches that I believe were included in the parts I later sold for resale to Bob's Packard Parts in PA, owner Bob Stolzfus, you might check with him in addition to Mike Dulinski and perhaps Joel Ray at Patrician Industries.

Posted on: 2021/3/13 17:03
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you are planning to combine two switches into one be aware that in spite of having the same part number for 55 and 56 the late Craig Hendrickson found there are differences between switches. Unknown if this is per year or because of different vendors but apparently some internal parts are not interchangeable.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=14396&forum=3

Posted on: 2021/3/13 17:17
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
A quick search of eBay brought one up and I didn’t look beyond that but I know I see them there all the time. You’re in Australia, correct? Could be your searches bring up only the eBay there so be sure to go to ebay.com to search here too.

Posted on: 2021/3/13 17:52
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved