Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Recent Comments
Who is Online
46 user(s) are online (28 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 46

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal

56 Packard 3 Speed O/D Transmission Disassembly
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

CarFreak
See User information
Hello,

I am restoring a 56 Packard Patrician that had the 3 speed o/d swapped in. I am keeping the transmission and decided to tear it down for inspection. One thing I noticed is the gear that slides between first and reverse has a couple chipped gear teeth and the mating gear on the counter shaft has a similar issue. Is this going to be a problem?

I am also having trouble removing the tail shaft from the tail shaft housing. According to the Service manual I have to remove the welch plug to get to the snap ring that holds the bearing in place. How do I get the welch plug out? Do I have to damage it to remove it? can I get a replacement?

The rest of the trans looks good, the bearings look good, overdrive looks good. Everything just has a lot of carbon build up on it.

Posted on: 3/11 9:23
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
1946 Packard touring sedans, parked on street
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2021, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved