Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 156

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

Re: Packard Engine to GM Auto Transmission Adapters
Home away from home
Home away from home

johntrhodes81
See User information
A 3.06 to 1 1st gear should help along with overdrive.

Posted on: 2021/6/16 19:47
John Rhodes

1953 Packard Patrician
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

johntrhodes81
See User information
The 4L60e is in and bolted to the engine. Next step is a rear transmission mount. Seems the stock rear cross member will need only slight modification. The Ultramatic is very difficult to get in and out in one piece. To do that it requires significant tilting to get it in which is difficult to do without a lift and a high rise trans jack.

The 4L60e is shorter and can just be slipped in with some tilting using a low rise trans jack and a car even on jack stands. To remove an Ultramatic in this scenario the tail housing must be removed.

So now it is time for trans mount, linkage, driveshaft, wiring etc.

John

Posted on: 2021/7/1 7:02
John Rhodes

1953 Packard Patrician
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
When I set out to drive my first 56 Patrician home from deep in the heart of WV, the front pump seal in the Twin Ultramatic started leaking badly, shortly after I crossed into PA.

My dad ran the H-D truck shop at a Chevy dealer and came down after work with a C60 wrecker to haul it back to the shop. The following week, he had the mechanics put the Pat up on 4 jack stands with nothing more than a (big) floor jack and use his old Walker transmission jack to get the tranny in and out. Although I wasn't there to watch, he had no complaints about doing the job. Of course, having worked as a mechanic in a Packard dealership, this wasn't his first rodeo.

As you can see from the illustration, this is a low slung jack. There are four bolts that get run up through the bottom of the lifting pad at four of any of several threaded holes, which allow for some adjustment, even in play. It originally came with a piece of chain to throw over the top of the unit to secure it, but my dad used a tarp strap. IMHO, a lashing strap might be better.

Actually called a "unit lift", the manufacturer also promoted it for R&I of rear axle assemblies. My dad told me that he also used it to R&I Corvair engines. A subsequent generation of this jack had a tubular frame.

Althpugh yo seem to be well past this point, good luck with the rest of the conversion on your 53.

Attach file:

jpg  Lincoln20Walker20J-79820Series20E20Parts20List.jpg (30.38 KB)
103_60ddc787b5edb.jpg 467X600 px

Posted on: 2021/7/1 8:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

johntrhodes81
See User information
Thanks and nice story. I used a Harbor freight tools version of that.

Posted on: 2021/7/1 15:11
John Rhodes

1953 Packard Patrician
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

johntrhodes81
See User information
I have been busy but working on crossmember. Needs welding.

Attach file:

jpg  20210813_220350.jpg (317.73 KB)
3978_611725622796a.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2021/8/13 21:07
John Rhodes

1953 Packard Patrician
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

johntrhodes81
See User information
Should have taken more pictures along the way but the trans is in. Still have to get everything hooked up though.

Attach file:

jpg  20211005_204906.jpg (189.79 KB)
3978_61619eca3055a.jpg 1440X1920 px

jpg  16337875974746131817434286189929.jpg (134.68 KB)
3978_61619f4dab421.jpg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2021/10/9 8:55
John Rhodes

1953 Packard Patrician
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Am curious how you are going to hook up the GM throttle cable. Believe Bendtsen's original instructions -- at least on the V8 -- had a tab welded somewhere on the accelerator linkage at the carb in order to attach the cable. Seem to remember one or two saying that proves to be tedious or hard to attach on the piece of metal available. Not sure if it was due to size of metal or because of the type of metal the linkage is made of. Another installer decided to attached his cable by making a bracket to clamp the cable housing I think to the firewall and drilled a hole in a section of linkage on the drivers side.

Instead of a drilled hole, would think something that would slip over an existing piece like the accelerator bracket on the firewall or better, would be to keep the existing throttle linkage on the engine and use the lever at the end of the rod on the right side of engine where the current throttle bar down to the Ultra attaches. Unless something in the geometry of the old linkage would mess it up, think the engine place would be simpler and more easily adjustable on the V8. Not sure on the S8 but If it was a clamp seems like it could slide on the throttle rod lever to find the precise point the GM transmission is supposed to want for the trigger and then locked own.

Use the existing bolts for holding the bracket but would need to make sure some way the housing bracket and cable mount angle could be twisted or moved so the housing and cable would be in a straight line.

If you can come up with something easy to do maybe you could take a few photos so the next guy doesn't need to reinvent the wheel.

Posted on: 2021/10/9 10:25
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

johntrhodes81
See User information
I am using a 4L60e not a 700R4/4L60 so I don't have a throttle cable but will need to T a MAP sensor into a vacuum line. The trans control unit i build will go in the trunk.

Next up is linkage cooler lines and dip stick.

Posted on: 2021/10/9 10:31
John Rhodes

1953 Packard Patrician
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Ah that does make it simpler and I guess the mini starter used on the inlines does require a conversion to 12v anyway. All those doing an S8 will be in the same boat and have the power for a module so even any info or issues you run into on that conversion will be a help to someone else if they wanted to use the same trans.

I remember reading of only one other 4L60E and that is on a V8. Believe it has a drop in commercial module from one of the speed shops that required a signal not found on a Packard but apparently was not a big deal. Don't remember what he did but maybe it is the sensor you are adding.

Posted on: 2021/10/9 10:53
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

johntrhodes81
See User information
Yes will be doing 12 volt but wanted to add AC anyway. Most electric trans controllers need vacuum and spark/tach signal. Load and rpm.
John

Posted on: 2021/10/9 11:07
John Rhodes

1953 Packard Patrician
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved