Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
116 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Throttle Sticking
Just popping in
Just popping in

Kubotakid
See User information
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and looking for help. I'm working on getting a 49 Deluxe 8 Touring sedan going for my boss. Long story short I took over this project near the end of its restoration. One problem I am having is that when starting the car the throttle will stick wide open. Also at times under part throttle the throttle will stick. I actually have to pull the gas pedal back to get it to stop. I verified that all the linkage is moving freely and found that it never sticks when the car is not running. I was thinking it had something to do with the unit mounted on the drivers side of the engine. I'm not exactly sure what it is, has a large vacuum pipe going to it, another pipe going to the brake booster and some sort of solenoid. The manual I have seems to be incomplete and has no mention of this part. Anyway, I disconnected the linkage on this part where it was connected to the throttle linkage and my concern has seemed to be gone. Hopefully someone else is familiar with this and can provide me some assistance. One other issue I am having is that the fast idle linkage is missing from the carburetor, Carter WD-O 644SA. Not sure if anyone out there has a core they want to sell. This doesn't seem to have anything to do with my throttle sticking issue though. Thanks all.

Posted on: 2021/3/26 9:20
 Top  Print 

Re: Throttle Sticking
Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
probably electromatic clutch-not sure how it operates. Most are disconnected

Posted on: 2021/3/26 9:31
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
What you have is the Electromatic Clutch which was an option introduced in 1941 that operates the clutch linkage automatically to engage and disengage the clutch. The car has no brake booster. There was a pre and postwar version of the clutch mechanism and most parts are not interchangeable. Construction, operation, and adjustment of the postwar version can be found in this training manual.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/ClutchTrainingManual.pdf

It is possible something is damaged or gummed up inside the control valve causing the sticking issue but that is not usually the case unless oil or dirt could have gotten inside. You might check if a spring is installed and add one if none is found. There is one extension spring on the carb side of the EC control valve which is clearly shown in the parts manual. In addition, there is a torsion spring that should be on the firewall bracket to help the pedal side. There may need to be another extension spring on the pedal side of the control valve as well. Check out plates 55 and 56 of the parts manual for a spring located under the floorboard near the pedal. While the factory does not list it as being present on an EC car, some cars with EC need the 9.11366 spring connected directly to the accelerator pedal pivot linkage in addition to the 9.113721 torsion spring on the firewall. Others do not.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/partslist/platelist.php?cat=31&partslist=1948-1954

Posted on: 2021/3/26 9:44
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Kubotakid
See User information
Thanks for all the help and information.
I'm thinking I'll jut run it with the Electromatic clutch unhooked for now. Also looks like I'm missing springs 9.11366 and 9.139 as well as their mounting brackets. I do have a functional torsion spring.

Posted on: 2021/3/26 12:04
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Kubotakid,
to PackardInfo and for including the '49 Deluxe Eight Touring Sedan in Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 2021/3/26 14:19
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved