Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
57 user(s) are online (32 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 57

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Carter 4 barrel base gasket question
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Chris R
See User information
Hello all,

Since the carb is all freshened up, I thought it would be a good idea to replace both carb base gaskets while I was at it.

I was hesitant to pull the base insulator because I was afraid it would brake due to it's age. Well... It broke...

So, I'm going to order a new one from Max Merritt. While I was poking around on their site, I noticed the factory style base gasket design.

It looks as though, there is a cutout where the two holes of the base insulator line up to. I also looked under the carb and it looks like there is a channel or cutout on it as well.

Does anyone know what the purpose of this channel or cutout is for?

Thank you,

-Chris

Attach file:

jpeg  Base Gasket.jpeg (31.49 KB)
110032_605e2418ae5aa.jpeg 638X479 px

jpeg  Base Insulator.jpeg (27.88 KB)
110032_605e241f2685f.jpeg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2021/3/26 13:12
 Top  Print   

Re: Carter 4 barrel base gasket question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Once upon a time exhaust gas was to come up through and heat the bottom of the carb to prevent icing around the idle jets on cold damp mornings. That is why carburated cars will often get fussy and stall in the middle of the warmup cycle if the conditions are unfavorable.

With modern gas, you do not need to heat your carburetor.

Posted on: 2021/3/26 19:57
 Top  Print   

Re: Carter 4 barrel base gasket question
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Chris R
See User information
Hey Ross,

Thanks for the response. That's pretty interesting. I figured it had to be for something, I just couldn't figure it out for the life of me.

Anywho, I went ahead and ordered both of the gaskets and a new insulator. Hopefully she'll be purrin' like a kitten soon enough.

Thanks again,

-Chris

Posted on: 2021/3/29 10:40
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved