Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
107 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 104

29tons, JWL, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 33 »

Re: Wat
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Quote:

Ozstatman wrote:
Quote:
Wat_Tyler wrote: If I am not mistaken, and that may be a reach, both the 6 and the 8 are 120" wheelbases. The customs were 127" w/b. The bodies are, I believe, the same size regardless. So, as I conclude, perhaps erroneously, the length on the 6s and the small 8s should be the same under the hood.

I have read that the 110s and 120s had different wheelbases and that the difference was in front of the....
Wat,

My apologies, a foot in mouth moment. Being I had a '41 120 and knew the length difference there, compared to the 110, was in the engine compartment I've extrapolated incorrectly to your Packards. Sorry

Apologies accepted, but not really necessary. As I mentioned, I make mistakes. Like, all the time.

And I may have stepped on my johnson on this one. I went out today - didn't get much work in - and measured the heads the old fashioned way - with a measuring tape. The 6-banger is 26.625 inches long, and the 8 is 34.375". (The 6 is in the car and the 8 is on a pallet.) This was in the '47, which had the radiator removed. So I looked at the '42 with the radiator in it, and it's gonna be a tight squeeze. Like, get a bigger hammer tight squeeze. It's either cut the cowl or make a new radiator assembly and reconfigure the front motor mounts (which maybe opens a cross-member can of worms), or some combination of the two. It's not like there isn't room forward, but it's not a piece of cake, either.

One re-thinking that went through my mind: heat up the 6 - a lot - put in a low gear in the rear and look for a 6-speed stick to utilize it all.

No matter, it doesn't have to be decided today. Oh, and I think that pre-war ornament is in my parts box. Not appealing, but . . . .

Posted on: 2021/3/28 18:21
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

Re: Wat's Clipper coupe
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
This is Fred on the '42. The cars are in Fred's barn. Fred is a barn cat who arrived here last fall along with her sister - yes, Fred got named before her gender was determined, but she doesn't mind. Fred gave us a dirty look for inserting old cars into her empty (formerly) hay barn, but she seems to have made them hers. Lotsa kitty prints. I'm sure she'll be supervising this entire project.

And I forgot to wonder this thought in the preceding post: is the 282 a shorter block than the 288/327/356 series? Does anyone have one which they would like to measure for me? I know of a '39 core on eBay for sale, and now I'm wondering.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_1773.jpg (163.65 KB)
224836_606111798c376.jpg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2021/3/28 18:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I've driven about several times in a 46 Clipper six and found it delightful. Unlike all the other models built on that chassis from 41-50 it handled and steered easily. It was not prone to ploughing in corners and still rode quite well.

There is nothing wrong with that six and it has plenty of low speed torque. If you equip it with overdrive you will have more than enough ratios and you can rocket down the road at 70 all day long. For a little more snap do a nice port and relieve job whilst rebuilding and give the head a good .06 milling. No matter which Packard straight eight you might insert the car will still not be as fast as an entry level Hyundai so why give up the qualities the car already has to impress----no one.

Posted on: 2021/3/28 18:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Quote:

Ross wrote:
I've driven about several times in a 46 Clipper six and found it delightful. Unlike all the other models built on that chassis from 41-50 it handled and steered easily. It was not prone to ploughing in corners and still rode quite well.

There is nothing wrong with that six and it has plenty of low speed torque. If you equip it with overdrive you will have more than enough ratios and you can rocket down the road at 70 all day long. For a little more snap do a nice port and relieve job whilst rebuilding and give the head a good .06 milling. No matter which Packard straight eight you might insert the car will still not be as fast as an entry level Hyundai so why give up the qualities the car already has to impress----no one.

I have to impress me, of course. And Fred.

Actually, we discussed this a bit in the kitchen while making supper. There's a lot to be said for doing this one a bit more simply and still making a fun car to see and to be seen in. Being as the other one is so cancerous, I'd feel less guilty carving bits off of it to make more engine fit.

I still like the more gears idea, but nothing will be settled tonight.

Thank all of you for your input. And I still want to know how long a 282 head is for my own knowledge.

Posted on: 2021/3/28 19:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Home from scoring a 356 remnant. Block, head, manifolds, crank, cam. Valves, I don't remember. Maybe, maybe not.

Oh, and an oil pan. With a .75" hole in it. From the inside out. My favorite.

It's going to be a long campaign with this one.

Damn picture is not coming through. I hate when the electronix act up.

Posted on: 2021/4/4 5:39
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
(Finally) got the serial number from the engine which was delivered last month. The one with the 288 head. The one you guys said to check the number on.

Turns out that, not only is it a 327, but it's a 9-main block.

w000t!!!

Posted on: 2021/4/4 16:36
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Pictures. Got the electronix to cooperate. For once (more) . . . .

Attach file:

jpg  63917249250__E72A3EE4-351B-4D5F-ADEB-0A75356209B5.jpg (352.57 KB)
224836_606a3381189cd.jpg 1440X1920 px

jpg  IMG_1799.jpg (191.92 KB)
224836_606a33981e920.jpg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2021/4/4 16:46
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
I'm not entirely sure, but it seems that this car has the electromatic clutch option. I discovered its overdrive last week. I'll post a couple of pictures for determination.

Would anyone want to buy it? It seems intact. How much is something like that worth? Any help appreciated . . . .

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_1808.jpg (260.04 KB)
224836_606a651ed7863.jpg 1440X1920 px

jpg  IMG_1809.jpg (273.56 KB)
224836_606a653665cbb.jpg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2021/4/4 20:17
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It does have EC and that is the correct postwar unit. Mechanically it looks to be complete -- although I cannot see if the electrical switches are present. There are so many of the units that might have needed repair and without a Packard mechanic that understood them they were often disabled. After that and with a nonworking unit a part was frequently removed and just thrown away to make it easier to service something else.

One issue with complete removal is the accelerator linkage and bracketry is different between EC and non EC so you would need to find the correct non EC stuff for your car. If you do decide to remove it then definitely save everything. No idea how much demand there might be or the worth but for someone who wanted to restore a unit to working condition and have a conversation starter at their next show you might find a buyer.

Posted on: 2021/4/4 20:41
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
That's kind of what I was figuring, that someone might want or need parts for theirs. I have no interest in the thing. My grandfather had one on his '48 Custom and it worked once in a blue moon - not that he was opposed to operating his own clutch with his left foot.

I have a '42 parts car without the EC which I can borrow linkage from.

Posted on: 2021/4/5 4:37
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 33 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved