Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
163 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 160

Packard Don, todd landis, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 12 13 14 (15) 16 17 18 ... 33 »

Re: Wat's Clipper coven
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Four bubble manifold should arrive this week.

Got good weather, so I'll slip out in a little while and try to finish getting this front bumper off. Going to lose the heavy ends and the license plate holder, too. This whole experiment has more to do with what a pain is involved for the gravel shield - or whatever its name is - that goes between the bumper and the front end sheetmetal. But while I'm there, I might as well do the other tidbits, too. And I may have to acquire some regular bumper bolts to redo this. They may get galvanized bolts temporarily. We'll see.

There will be accumulated rust and debris to add to the fun.

And once that that's done, then it's off the ramps and we dive into the coil and carburetor.

Posted on: 2022/3/20 6:30
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

Re: Wat's Clipper coupe
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Got the bumper and gravel shield sorted out. The bumper is lightened and reinstalled. I think that it looks better. Went for a ride and can't say that the lightening way out front made any difference at all in the way the car feels while taking corners.

It did fine on today's ride. Maybe 15 miles straight through. I look at the car and it doesn't feel that large. This "normally tall man" can, in fact, easily see over it. It does feel larger while driving. I suspect that this sensation is because one sits way down in the car - and that's with an added cushion on the driver seat - and that it isn't all that easy to see out of. I'm trying to sort out a passenger door side view mirror. Hell, anything would help, even a dental mirror.

Posted on: 2022/3/20 15:58
 Top  Print 

Re: Wat
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Sunday.

Attach file:

jpg  66951035605__5906AFF7-F942-4CF0-AFF5-B823F6713881.jpg (581.10 KB)
224836_6239103de379e.jpg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2022/3/21 18:54
 Top  Print 

Re: Wat
Home away from home
Home away from home

r1lark
See User information
Looking really good Wat!!

Posted on: 2022/3/22 7:38
Paul
www.studebakerskytop.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Thank you!!! I'm not sure what's wrong with the resolution on that picture. Maybe there are too ew cats in it for added decoration and content.

The 4bbl manifold showed up yesterday - with a bent stud. And my existing 4 bbls don't come close to fitting, so now the hunt is on for a dinky WCFB from the fifties. It could be worse. Hell, it's only money.

Going up to visit the coven next month, if work doesn't drive me to distraction first.

Posted on: 2022/3/23 4:09
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
A friend passed along an idea of why the latest car is hard to start after it sits for a week. I'm actually looking forward to trying it out.

Got a new winch mounting plate made for the trailer this past weekend. I have a bit of reinforcement and four more holes to drill to be able to mount it. That will make retrieving Fred's acquisitions easier.

Got a lot bigger winch. I really underbought the last one.

Posted on: 2022/4/4 18:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Wat, you can buy a carb adaptor plate from Speedway, Summit or other supply stores. The plate will fit the earlier, smaller, bolt pattern on the manifold and allow for the install of the later, bigger, bolt pattern carbs. I have one on my hot rod's Dodge hemi engine to mount an Edelbrock.

Posted on: 2022/4/6 11:37
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Quote:

JWL wrote:
Wat, you can buy a carb adapter plate from Speedway, Summit or other supply stores. The plate will fit the earlier, smaller, bolt pattern on the manifold and allow for the install of the later, bigger, bolt pattern carbs. I have one on my hot rod's Dodge hemi engine to mount an Edelbrock.

Okay, cool. Thank you. I did drop a dime yesterday and scored a WCFB for a '53 Packard, so it'll have the electric starter gizmo switch. That is, if his core is good. He has 4 of them and hasn't laid eyes on them in decades, so he's going to check first before he charges me. These old guys are dying off at a rapid rate. This guy has stuff dating back to the teens of last century.

I'll look into an adapter plate. My life may be becoming a series of adapter plates for more things than a few. Ain't nothing wrong with an Edelbrock. My buddy Pete can set one up.

You know, it dawned on me this morning over pouring the first cup of coffee/sanity that after working with Carl last weekend making my winch mounting plate, I'm not afraid of the concept of fabricating metal stuff any more. I rule wood - it's my bitch. So if I toss a few shekels at a plasma cutter and a multi-mode welder, I should be in like Flynn with a bit of practice. And Allah knows I have lotsa shit to practice on.

Now all I'll need is a source of steel cast-offs.

Posted on: 2022/4/7 4:23
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Ordered a 4bbl adapter plate. Cheap. Easy. Done.

Posted on: 2022/4/7 19:39
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
The guy with the WCFB 985 called me back. His are different - for Cadillacs. I could make a new starter switch under the dash, but if I'm going to do all that, I might as well use a modern carb.

But, to be fair, I called. Kanter has bupkis, and MM wanted $750 plus a $300 "core charge" (they're selling rebuilts), so we parted company right there. If one can find a new 1404 in stock, it's under $500 delivered.

I can think of worse things than an under the dash starter switch.

I may visit the exhaust shop on Friday to see what they can do for that mass of restriction under the little sedan.

Posted on: 2022/4/13 6:47
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 12 13 14 (15) 16 17 18 ... 33 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved