Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
113 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 113

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: 1956 Caribbean
Just popping in
Just popping in

bigfins
See User information
Wow beautiful automobile and home ! đź‘Ť

Posted on: 2021/3/29 20:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
No, I don't. Later this evening unless someone beats me to it I'll check the roster of Caribbean survivors to see if it has survived. Back in 1987 it was listed as "unknown"

Update. #121 was an export car delivered to Bergen, Norway. According to my latest info, it has not survived.

Hello,

I've been keeping my own roster of Packard Caribbeans since at least the 1960s. I rode in the original 1956 Caribbean prototype when it was new in 1955 in Detroit. And still have pix of it today.

A lot of the info I saved was not merely from records (which I discovered were sometimes wrong) but also from personal inspection. One thing I discovered many years ago is that not all Caribbeans built match the factory records. Also the records as published in 1987 and in my own roster do not list each and every color combo ordered. Therefore it is tough to state categorically how many cars were ordered (or made) with a specific paint code. There were several 1956 Caribbeans ordered and delivered with unspecified color and trim codes. And I know that some cars were sent out in primer.

Caribbean 5699-1121 (unless you know info I don't) was rumored repainted. Then rusty. I lost track of it many years ago. If this car was destroyed for absolute certain, I would certainly like to know. Is this for certain? And when?

The guy who would know most about Caribbeans in Denmark, Sweden, Norway areas is indeed in the Norway area and today owns one of every Caribbean year and version made. We are in touch from time to time.

Caribbean 5699-1146 was delivered new in Arlington, MA and is now in the Minnesota area where it has lived for some time. I have a few photos of this Caribbean.

Posted on: 2021/3/29 21:41
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

bigfins
See User information
Car 146 has been in Michigan for at least the last 15 years maybe more .

Posted on: 2021/3/30 8:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

bigfins wrote:
Car 146 has been in Michigan for at least the last 15 years maybe more .

That is good to know since I can't possibly keep track of each and every car. But I will say that the last time I got photos of it, #146 was in MN. That has been a few years. Perhaps I should have said, "last time I knew a location on #146..."

These cars move around–especially these days with cars being flipped so much. I have cars that were in one place many years ago and today are on the other side of the country–or the world. For instance, Ole Book's 1956 Caribbean was a car I found in the desert in the 1970s, then got a friend to rescue. We worked on the car several years. The friend died. Next thing I knew the car turned up in Montana. Then the next thing I knew it was in New Jersey. Now I understand it is in Europe!

I try to update my list when I find new info but many of my locations have not been updated in years and years. But one thing I can say for certain is that my roster includes information I have gathered over the past 60 years both from factory records and by examining actual Caribbeans face-to-face. And again, there are errors on the original factory list that indicate a Caribbean was made one way and the real car shows another, yes, including the serial plate.

My Caribbean Roster was listed in Hemmings Motor News Almanac and elsewhere for over 30 years. If you have old issues of Hemmings Almanac you can look it up. Through my roster, I collected information on Caribbeans along with their owners and locations all over the world. And while my Caribbean Roster has not been active in many years, I still have the data I collected today.

Posted on: 2021/3/30 11:40
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

crunch
See User information
My car is 1026.Exterior is MES, interior is 90.List has it as 92.I count 5 different colors.Bill of laden states it was delivered to Earl C Anthony. Car 1011 went to Germany and was scraped. Interestingly car had underseat heater! If your keeping a roster on hardtops, car 1249 was scraped. I thought you would need this info for your roster

Posted on: 2021/3/31 17:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

crunch wrote:
My car is 1026.Exterior is MES, interior is 90.List has it as 92.I count 5 different colors.Bill of laden states it was delivered to Earl C Anthony. Car 1011 went to Germany and was scraped. Interestingly car had underseat heater! If your keeping a roster on hardtops, car 1249 was scraped. I thought you would need this info for your roster

Thanks much!

On my roster, I last show your 5699 Caribbean #26 owned by a person In Pennsylvania in 1993. This car was originally delivered VIA Earle C. Anthony's distributorship to Packard La Brea dealership in Los Angeles, California. Somewhere I still have license plate frames for Packard La Brea (see the photo). My records show the car as color code MES with code 92 interior.

Regarding 5699 1011, this Caribbean was also in Pennsylvania as of 1993. It was originally delivered to Central Motors in Akron, Ohio. I also have it listed as MES/92. It woud be very interesting to see how the underseat heater was fitted and positioned with the special Caribbean seat.

Regarding 5697-1249... thanks much again! Sad to hear this one was scrapped.

Yes I have kept records on all Caribbeans. I started doing this so long ago that my records (until recent years) were all on 3 x 5 paper index cards. Here is how it looked in 1977-78 (see pic). I also have an actual letter file of correspondence between Caribbean owners all over the world and myself. This file covers roughly about 30 years. I saved all of these letters and still have the file packed away today.

And until I was robbed several years ago, I had a collection of perhaps 150 (or more) Packard serial plates, mostly 1955-1956. These plates had been saved from scrapped cars over the years. A good friend of mine for many years ran hotlines for most of the junkyards on the western end of the country. Every time a Packard came into one of the yards, I usually heard about it... and got them to save the serial plates for me. So whoever stole my Packard collection has a pile of the plates.

Where are you located?

Attach file:

jpg  PackardLicFrame.jpg (67.14 KB)
1249_6065058ebc28c.jpg 849X539 px

jpg  CaribbeanRosterStuffIndexCardsEtc copy.jpg (273.01 KB)
1249_606508e7a92be.jpg 1920X1800 px

Posted on: 2021/3/31 18:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The late Randy Berger posted this photo of a friends 56 Caribbean with underseat heater. I don't remember if he said it was factory or owner installed but if factory, the exposed heater core looks very vulnerable to damage from inquisitive or bored rear seat passengers. My brother and I would have had unlimited entertainment seeing what could be stuck in the holes.

Attach file:

jpg  56Carib Underseat heater.jpg (41.36 KB)
209_606506ac9b347.jpg 756X426 px

Posted on: 2021/3/31 18:33
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
The late Randy Berger posted this photo of a friends 56 Caribbean with underseat heater. I don't remember if he said it was factory or owner installed but if factory, the exposed heater core looks very vulnerable to damage from inquisitive or bored rear seat passengers. My brother and I would have had unlimited entertainment seeing what could be stuck in the holes.

Yesssss. Thanks for posting the pic, but that's not a factory unit from what I can see...

Posted on: 2021/3/31 18:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Review of original build slips done many years ago indicates that the only Caribbean convertibles to have underseat heaters as original equipment were #s 96 and 119. Not a clue if that is correct or what modifications might have been necessary to accommodate it.

Posted on: 2021/3/31 18:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Review of original build slips indicates that the only Caribbean convertibles to have underseat heaters as original equipment were #s 96 and 119. Not a clue if that is correct or what modifications might have been necessary to accommodate it.

Yes, but please remember.... as I have discovered over and over again over the years: there was factory-installed (as reflected on build slips) and then there was dealer-installed. The latter were certainly not reflected on build slips. This certainly tosses a wrench into the numbers claimed for instance of factory air cars (and in the case of factory air, I don't mean aftermarket air but factory air that was either installed at the factory OR at the dealer... same unit). Likewise for 1956 Caribbeans with underseat heaters. AND... by the way, I know of at least two 5699 cars with Power Door Locks! Thanks.

I guess I should also mention that 5699-1096 was a car that was in the hands of Modern Engineering Company (a firm that worked with Creative Industries of Detroit). Experimental work was done there, ordered by Packard. It was also equipped with factory seat belts and rear speaker. However this Caribbean went through a number of hands, including auctions and flippers. It was eventually painted an odd color scheme on top of the original VMV scheme and other things were done to it.

Last time I saw it, this Caribbean was equipped with a chromed Cadillac dual quad batwing and pots, with the interior changed and a number of wild claims–including that it was "equipped from the factory with Kelsey-Hayes wire wheels..." the usual myth and other claims.

Last I knew of 5699-1119, it was living in Florida.

Thanks again.

Posted on: 2021/3/31 18:54
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved